PDA

View Full Version : Source for Frozen Prawn Eggs

Hippocampus
11/16/2001, 12:15 PM
These guys list frozen prawn eggs as being available: http://www.bio-aquatics.com/frozen.html

The only strange thing is that they have them listed under Bloodworms, as follows: Prawn Eggs - 100Gr Flat Pack 3.99

They are the last item listed on the page. Could somebody find out if it's the same thing? I wouldn't even know how to ask.

Donna

FMarini
11/16/2001, 12:33 PM
Hippo:
thanks for the info. I called them. I have no idea if its the same product as what Guy mentions.
They have a 10lb (yup pound) minimum order, at (10gm=~0.4oz) --->>100gm=40oz=2.5lbs ea<-- (math error here it actually 100gm =4.0 oz FM). Its about 40 packages of this stuff
Also the products are all shipped on dry ice. Add more shipping costs.
I might have to find others who are interested.
Thanks for the info
frank
(PS-see scotts response below...I misplaced the decimal point.Its actually 0.25lbs or 1/4lb)

Anemone
11/16/2001, 01:29 PM
That's in my neck of the woods - I may have to call them and see if I can stop by and buy......

Kevin

scott324
11/16/2001, 06:22 PM
They have a 10lb (yup pound) minimum order, at (10gm=~0.4oz) 100gm=40oz=2.5lbs ea. Its about 5 packages of this stuff

I have no clue what these abbreviations stand for( I would assume grams???) but the math is incorrect. If 10gm=0.4oz then 100gm=4oz which is 1/4 of a lb. This would be 40 packages of the stuff, which is an awful lot.

FMarini
11/16/2001, 11:11 PM
Scott:
your right...i misplaced the decimal point. Its 0.25lbs so you got to purchase even more than i anticipated. Guess thats why i stayed in science and not math.
Thanks for clarifing this
frank

OrionN
11/17/2001, 12:41 AM
Frank,
If you can get some folks in the Houston area to order some, I love to pool in and get some. I think this is great stuff to use and raise and breed certain fish.

Hippocampus
11/17/2001, 11:27 AM
If I can get some people to order pool with me in the Kansas City area, I'd like to try this stuff with newborn seahorses. I've had great success raising them on BBS but it would be a real advance if I could find another source of food for the newborns.

Donna

scott324
11/17/2001, 09:04 PM
Frank,

I wasn't trying to second guess you, just wanted to make sure you knew you would be ordering a whole lot of prawn eggs. Ten pounds would raise alot of babies.

rhwimmers
11/24/2001, 10:53 PM
i would go in on an order...or perhaps buy a bunch to sell in my area as well...
maybe its possible to raise them? that wouldnt be worth it though since we can do that with BBS!
anyway, let me know if these ARE the frozen prawn eggs we all want!
Hurry, second batch is on its way!

Hippocampus
11/25/2001, 01:43 PM
Yes, TEN POUNDS would feed a LOT of babies, although 100 two-week-old seahorse babies will consume about 2 ounces (dry weight) of artemia eggs a week. At one point, I had over 300 babies of all ages and my life pretty much consisted of hatching BBS. The time savings alone (not to mention the ease) would make it worthwhile.

I'd guess that if anyone orders that much quantity, you'd definitely want to have a deep freeze for storage. For instance, a package of frozen PE mysis will last about 2-3 months in a regular freezer before going bad but will last indefinitely in a deep freeze.

Donna