PDA

View Full Version : HHEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!! 250W Halide fell in the water!!!

odoprelude
11/03/2004, 01:44 PM
Okay, recently I've been having problems with some bulbs that I bought last Nov. (set up in Feb. I run them only about 4 hrs a day) The problem is is that the glass is coming apart from the metal screw in part. Well, I just walked out of my office to one side of my tank darker than the other and upon investigation, the bulb was disconnected from the screw in part (that must be a technical term) hanging on by two wires and in the water!! I first can't figure out how the bulb did not shatter, much less crack, but it was whole. I unscrewed the metal part and replaced the bulb but the new bulb would not fire... The ballast does not have an odor to it at all, so I am not suspecting the ballast as being burnt out, but I could be wrong... I have the the lights shut off and the ballast cooling off... What could the problem be? Any help would be appreciated!

1package
11/03/2004, 02:21 PM
Check out the wiring to terminal with a meter.

Obviously not familiar with the exact setup that you have......if the light socket (fixture) itself made it into the water it likely burned up underneath the bottom of the bulb where the terminals meet the wire. If you have a multimeter you can check it out.

odoprelude
11/03/2004, 02:37 PM
no, the socket is bolted to the top of the canopy. it doesn't show any signs of shorting... I'll have to find someone with a multimeter... No electrical experience here....

Curtis1
11/04/2004, 04:54 AM
Are there two different ballasts ??? They may have a fuse that may have blown ???? Your lucky it didn't shatter !!! I guess !!!

odoprelude
11/04/2004, 02:56 PM
Update, turn ballasts off for an hour and actually crazy glued the glass to the mogul base and it is working like nothing happened... go figure.... Thanks!

theduckster
11/04/2004, 03:07 PM
don't think i would trust the crazy glue at all

better get some new ones quick

odoprelude
11/04/2004, 05:53 PM
crazy glue and duct tape... man we can repair anything! Seriously though I will be getting one maybe two new bulbs asap...

LowCel
11/04/2004, 06:55 PM
Chris, where do you get your bulbs? If you can go to www.reefnut.com and pm hoopsguru. He is the site owner. You may have to join to pm him though. Anyway, he will meet or beet anyone else's price. Just tell him that I recomended him to you. He knows me best by my screen name.