PDA

View Full Version : MN Reefers--Home Depot Sand

Larry M
02/19/2000, 03:32 PM
I am posting this here for a fellow reefer in Minnesota, who for some reason cannot access the board. I am in for 10 bags myself.
Larry

Hello Minnesota reefers,
I am in the process of ordering some of that Tropical Playsand by South Down. I am ordering some sand through the Burnsville, MN Home Depot. If you are interested in getting some please let me know because I need to know how much sand to ask for. I have 20 bags already accounted for, but the rest of the pallet is available for those that are interested. If I have enough interest from this post I will have them order a full pallet which is between 60-70 bags. Please email me if interested and I will let you know when it gets ordered and comes in.

Bart

barthelj@clear.lakes.com

Bart
02/24/2000, 09:35 PM
Is anyone interested? I will be checking with Home Depot Friday. Please let me know if you are.

------------------

David Grigor
02/25/2000, 02:41 PM
Hey Bart,

I definately want in on it but don't have a clue how much I would need ?

I am planning on putting up a tank same dimensions as a 180g but two feet longer. Thinking a 2to3" sandbed

Any guestimate how much I would need ? How much in a bag and $$$ per bag ?

DSB
02/25/2000, 03:00 PM
A 180 is 6'x 2'x 2'. I needed 320 lbs to get ~6" in a 4'x 2'x 2'. If your tank is 2' longer then it would be 8'. Do the math. I estimate you will need about 320 lbs to get about 3". They are probably 50 lb bags so I would guess you need about 6 bags.

[This message has been edited by DSB (edited 02-25-2000).]

Lars E
02/25/2000, 03:26 PM
Woah hold on. I'm new to the board. What is this all about?? Give me the details.

Lars

transplant from St. Cloud

PS where can I get a deal on a 180? My 75 crashed hard during the move. Everything is dead . . . might as well upgrade huh ;)

[This message has been edited by Lars E (edited 02-25-2000).]

JohnL
02/25/2000, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Grigor:
I definately want in on it but don't have a clue how much I would need ? I am planning on putting up a tank same dimensions as a 180g but two feet longer. Thinking a 2to3" sandbed<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A rough estimate is Length x Width x Depth of sandbed (all in inches ) / 20.

In your case 96x24x3/20 = 345.6 lbs of sand.

------------------
Peace - John

Larry M
02/25/2000, 03:39 PM
Lars--Welcome to the board, and to the Twin Cities. We'll have to get you signed up for the reef club too.
Home Depot carries a fine grained sand that is suitable for use in our tanks. The best part is that it's cheap. :) Bart is rounding up enough people to order a pallet in for us. Nice of him, eh? :D

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

RCraw45425
02/26/2000, 07:36 AM
Trying to get some in GA too, Larry.

Bart
02/26/2000, 10:49 AM
Hello,

David, Sorry I did not notice your post here sooner, but I think we got this taken care of via email.

In case anyone else has this question about how much sand they will need this is what I used. Just like anything else this is an estimate, but does anyone know if these are truely way off? I do not want to give anyone bad advice... :confused:

The amount of sand you will need will depend on the area you are filling and the size/type of the sand you are getting. Bob Goemans (author of Live Sand Secrets & "Sand Mail" in FAMA) says to use a figure of 0.0579 for 1-4mm grain size sand. This is much larger than the grain size of the Home Depot sand from what I have seen of it. This seems to also be what I have seen from other posts is that the Home Depot sand is 1mm and much finer. I used a figure posted in Aqualink by mangoman of 0.07 instead to figure out how much I needed.

length x width x height (in inches) *.07 = #lbs of sand

Check out the link below that I found this information in (from Aqualink post)

Looking for reefers in SF, who want to pull together and buy a pallet of HD Trop Sand http://www.aqualink-too.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/024625.html
(sorry about the Aqualink post :) )

MegaDeTH
02/26/2000, 02:26 PM
I wish there were enough people in washington state to order a pallet, I need 20 bags myself at that price, cheapest I can find aragonite here is 1 $ a pound. L8r mega

------------------
members.xoom.com/megareefs (http://members.xoom.com/megareefs)
Yup, new url, finally thumbnail index html's on the folders, and a streaming webcam!

Agu
02/27/2000, 11:08 PM
One bag is about 18" by 11" by 3"

Lars E
02/28/2000, 02:18 PM
Ok so how much and who do I contact to reserve some?

Lars

[trying to convince himself that he needs a new 180 to replace the 75]

Snailman
02/28/2000, 05:47 PM
I got two bags at the Home Depot in Frederick, MD and they had two pallets of it. :) It was $3.74 a bag.

Bart
02/29/2000, 11:58 AM
Lars E - That would be me...email me at the address in Larry M's original post above.

Thanks.

Homer59
03/03/2000, 05:22 PM
You guys are gonna love that sand.....just remember to rinse it rinse it rinse it...like everybody says.

Larry M
03/03/2000, 06:26 PM
Bart--Any word yet on when it might be in?

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

rhwimmers
09/10/2000, 09:33 PM
this topic is back from the dead but, i am going to try and get some HD sand, but i need to know what EXACT kind of sand it is, maybe the SKU# or model/make of it?
im sure they have lots of different kinds, but....what EXACT type of HD sand do i ask for?
thanks
Ross

Fogcutter
09/10/2000, 10:39 PM
Just some added info.
The Southdown Tropical Playsand pallets come 56 bags to a pallet and not the 60-70 that you are calculating. I know this for a fact as I currently have 2.3 pallets left.
Just wanted to make sure you didn't get yourself in a bind. It was a lot of trouble to get but after pricing all the LFS stuff down here you'll still come out ahead in value.
Good luck y'all.

Fogcutter

[This message has been edited by Fogcutter (edited 09-10-2000).]