PDA

View Full Version : Do you use GFI's around your tank?

LowCel
11/03/2004, 08:24 AM
Ever have one of those days? Mine started off by me walking into check out my tank and noticing the room was completely quiet and dark. No light on the refugium, tank water down a couple inches with absolutely no water circulation or heat. To say the least, that wasn't quite normal. Once I got to checking around my gfi had clicked, I guess it did it's job. I tried to reset it but it just clicked again. I ended up unplugging everything and trying one piece of equipment at a time. I eventually got all my circulation going and my heat going. The only thing not turned on is my refugium light and mixing pump for my kalk reactor. I didn't have time to figure out which one of them was messed up, or if it was just one of their timers. I'm guessing it was the light though. It gets a lot of moisture from my cooling fans.

I got lucky, the tank only fell to 74 degrees. I'm not real sure how long everything was off but I didn't see anything floating so that is a good sign.

All I can really say is that I am glad that I recently installed that GFI. It's hard to tell what could have happened had I not had it.

Moral of the story, if you don't have GFI's around your tank GET THEM!!!!!! Oh yeah, I am also running power strips with a breaker on them. The breaker on them never flipped.

1package
11/03/2004, 02:25 PM
Water and no GFI = big trouble. Lowes sells a portable one that fits into any plug and becomes the GFI. Less cost no labor to install, if someone is not "electrically inclined".

1package
11/03/2004, 02:30 PM
Lowcel - I did not snub you on your photo shrink offer, just need to take a photo and I have been out of town. I was hoping to install photo shop or Corel draw to make resize easier. Also I attempted to send an older photo but I got a message saying you did not accept messages or something like that.

LowCel
11/03/2004, 02:34 PM
That's weird. I guess it could have been too large. Try my work e-mail. BFMiller@dot.state.wv.us