PDA

View Full Version : How do you do this?

deb
11/16/2001, 12:10 AM
What kind of filter is needed for a 10 gallon nano? Is a skimmer also needed?

Just wondering if I can do this....My boyfriend has a 44 gallon reef & of course I'm jealous so I was brainstorming the idea of setting up a 10g in our office.

Daniel
11/16/2001, 02:55 AM
I use a refuge as my filter and no you will not need a skimmer at all just do a gallon a week water change
HTH

snafuforyou
11/16/2001, 07:50 PM
The post on this board "lets see those 10 gal nano" Will give you many ideas.

I currently use lr and ls as a filter. I also have a skimmer which helps keep the nitrates down to 0. No refugium no HOB. Weekly water changes of 2-3 gal are a must for a healthy tank though.

Snaf

nitritetest
11/24/2001, 03:34 PM
I've got a 7 gallon nano, and I have kept it for several months without a water change, only water top off.

I even have 2 fish, crabs, a shrimp, and numerous corals in it.

You DON'T have to do water changes, regardless of what people tell you. You DON'T need a skimmer or any mechanical filtration, or frequent water changes if there is a biological system in place to convert/remove waste.

In fact, I went for many many months without a water change, and when I finally did one (using distilled water & salt mix) I got a green hair and red slime algae outbreak (I'm guessing phosphates in the salt mix were higher than the phosphate level my aquarium had been at for almost a year without doing any water changes).

The Unit
11/24/2001, 04:12 PM
www.nano-reef.com

Physh1
11/24/2001, 07:10 PM
I've got a 7 bow front nano with some fish and quite a few corals too. I have an aquaclear 150 filter and a hagen surface skimmer. It does well so far and am very happy with it. I'm not big into hefty looking equipment on small tanks and the small skimmers that were around were too big for my taste....

you can see my nano at www.californiareefs.com ...link below too...

also www.nano-reef.com