PDA

View Full Version : Hi

milhouse74
11/01/2004, 08:44 PM
Hi all, I am considering moving to Atlanta, but before I think further about it I was wondering what the Marince Scene down there was like. How are the local shops, coral selections, etc?

How is the club, are you all active? I noticed a minimum number of posts comapred to my New Jersey club.

David

Mafiaman
11/01/2004, 08:49 PM
Hello David, This club has only been going for three months, We have our own web-page and forum here http://atlanta-smas.org/
I think you'll find fro the most part that we are as active as any others.
Please join us in our other forum and you will see.

Chris

milhouse74
11/01/2004, 09:41 PM
So why multiple clubs in 1 city? I noticed the link to ARC on your site, why, whats up?

yousuredo
11/01/2004, 10:25 PM
the more the marrier..........my freind......the ARC was before us, and we started our own.......now this one is about to 'FRAG' out into chapters.....so those that are in a concentrated area can meet as well as us meet as a larger group.........with work, kids, exc...life is hectic and alot of people dont have alot of time to jurney far, so it is a nice way for them to partcipate in the club....within there area more often than not.....if you head this way you will soon see we have ALOT of stores and some are awsome and others still need work but for the most part they are all great....

any idea where you will be moving (town-city) here in GA ?

milhouse74
11/01/2004, 10:50 PM
Maybe Marietta, but that area. Have a great friend and her family down there, and need something new for the kids and I.

milhouse74
11/01/2004, 10:56 PM
Here we have 1 club for the entire state of NJ, and meetings rotate, north central south.

Just seems it would be easier to get sponsors, speakers, etc if it was one big club. Even if it had different meeting places etc.

Mafiaman
11/02/2004, 05:17 AM
You are right David, Here is a link to the www.atlantareefclub.org

They have meetings on Tuesday nights and have a Board of directors that guid the club.
This club is simply an alternative, Saturday morning meetings, and is run by Gradys rules of goverment (everything is voted on by the memebers) there is no governing body, no dues,.
Atlanta has on of the largest metro areas in the U.S. It can take up to two hours to drive from one side to the other without traffic.
So there is room, and more people can get involved when given the choice of days.

goodfortune
11/02/2004, 07:30 AM
I don't know what the reefing scene is like up there, but we have a pretty active one here, I think.

The ARC tends to be run with more formality, but has quite a few members (~200) that allows it to do things like bring in high profile speakers.

Atlanta-SMAS tends to be run in a laid back style, and the meetings have a more intimate feel to them.

If you come down to scout around, try making one of the meetings, for either club, if your trip happens to coincide with one. Good luck with everything!

- Michael