PDA

View Full Version : Cal. reactor media

Charlie Davidson
11/01/2004, 06:35 PM
I got my calcium reactor today, but they forgot the media I asked for! anyone have it local????? All set up and waiting ( pump running)

mr294
11/01/2004, 08:09 PM
I've been using Caribsea geomarine crushed coral for about 3 years now without a problem. Works great, and its quite cheap.

Charlie Davidson
11/01/2004, 08:24 PM
Brandon, I would have bet , you to be the first to answer! thanks!!! I want to get some QUICK! where? I know this should take alot of patience---- but I have none right now! I only have one days dose of 2-part.

AQUAN8TOR
11/02/2004, 12:42 AM
I've got a couple bags of the caribsea crushed coral at R.A., but I'm not sure if it is 'geo-marine' or not. Can't say I've ever really looked at the bag, b/c I don't like the look of large crushed coral.

I (stupidly) paid waaaaay too much for A.R.M. I can't remember exactly how much, but over twice what crushed coral costs. I was on a crusade against phosphates, and thought that cheap media might have been the source. It wasn't, and I still set up a ROWAPHOS reactor anyway.

Charlie Davidson
11/08/2004, 07:47 PM
I am thinking about building my own second stage, Can I use my current aragonite based substrate? is a ROWAPHOS reactor a waste of my time? I had planeed to use a 350 mag as one.

mr294
11/08/2004, 08:36 PM
You can fill the second stage with the same media you are using in the first stage. One of the guys who was tank of the month here built his second stage from a 2L pepsi bottle, so it doesn't have to be fancy. I wouldn't worry about setting up a rowaphos reactor unless you are having phosphate problems. No reason to spend money that doesn't need to be spent :D

Charlie Davidson
11/08/2004, 08:42 PM
Recent explosion of green hair?

mr294
11/08/2004, 08:48 PM
Do you have a phosphate test kit? If not I can test it for you if you want to stop by the store on Tues. or Weds. Otherwise, I'm sure someone around here could bring a test kit to the meet on Thursday.