PDA

View Full Version : Algae Control in a Mantis Tank?

orkspace
11/15/2001, 02:20 PM
Considering that a traditional clean up crew is made up of things mantis shrimp love to eat, what is a good way to approach algae control in a mantis tank?

The methods I know are:

1. Cleanup Crew (not practical in this case)
2. Nutrient Export via Caulerpa
3. Frequent Water Changes
4. Reduced Lighting Schedule

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Death Shrimp99
11/15/2001, 06:44 PM
I have a 30 gallon reef and it is overloaded with live rock and the only thing that really eats algea in there is my flame angel and 3 snails and for some reason i can get any algea to grow in there. I have really string lighting, put in calcium, and never scrub it.

orkspace
11/15/2001, 07:45 PM
My tap water must be loaded with phosphates or silicates or something nasty, 'cause I can't stop growing too much algae.

Someone mentioned that commercially available distilled water is condensed on copper pipe -- has anyone had bad experiences with copper in distilled water?

Death Shrimp99
11/15/2001, 08:02 PM
Copper kill eels and is bad for inverts depending on how mutch. It mush be the water because i use my drinking water and it had this really complex filter that i have to empty every week and it takes out alot of junk in the water.

ISFRAEL
11/16/2001, 07:32 PM
hey orkspace!

i had the same algae problem not long ago but ive since started to do a 25% water change every weekend (sunday) with rain water. my tap water was full of nitrates and other bad stuff but the rain water has no nasties what so ever.
my tank is now nearly algae free and is starting to get coraline algae. i also have a tiny amount of macros, not enough to really do much but look good.
maybe make sure your mantis isnt getting his food to often and burying it. this will cause a nitrate rise very fast, maybe cut back of his food portions abit and see if it improves?

Death Shrimp99
11/16/2001, 09:38 PM
Rain water! good idea because it leaves everything in the water behind when it evaporates. Do you just leave a bucket outside or something? First time i've heard of doing this. Thanks.

ISFRAEL
11/17/2001, 08:43 AM
i got a huge rainwater tank out side connected to all the gutters, i use a aging liquid to get rid of all the metals and it is perfect in every other way, no nitrates or anything bad.

Moltenllama
11/20/2001, 07:35 PM
My mantis, Runt, is only 3 inches long, and after killing one Astrea he hasn't bothered them since (guess he didn't like the taste) so I have no problems with algae. I keep my light on 14 hours to keep my mushrooms and anemones happy, and the sides stay nice and clean. I have a little bit of problem with plant overgrowth since Runt whacked some of my fish, but that i can do by hand. Basically, I've found that if I keep him well fed he doesn't prey on anything. I've been feeding him with chopsticks so long that I think I could take that crazy hand-feeding step. Heh, I'm more worried about what a bunch of my blood would do when introduced to my tank than any injury :)