PDA

View Full Version : b.merleti vs b.wellsi

plankton
10/31/2004, 01:50 PM
I've had very good success with b.merleti, but my b.wellsi only looks decent during night and pretty much closes down during day (with halides).

Any recommendations on where to place b.wellsi in a tank with halides?

Thanks in advance...

Plankton

downset
10/31/2004, 03:15 PM
I have mine right under halides,about 6 inches away from a 175 watt bulb

plankton
10/31/2004, 03:45 PM
downset - Is that acan under halides or b.wellsi? I also have some acan directly under halides and they appear to do very well (and open polps at night to feed). But, the b.wellsi don't appear to respond well to direct halide light.

Jesus
11/01/2004, 04:04 AM
Scott, try put the b. wellsi indirect from halide. In fact I have lost some by putting them directly under halide. Put them in a simi-shaded area like under a overhung.

Jesus

Anemone
11/01/2004, 02:30 PM
Interesting. My red B. wellsi is about 4-6" below the water surface (surge system), directly below a DE 250 10 K bulb (maybe 18" below the bulb). It expands very well...

Kevin

plankton
11/01/2004, 03:18 PM
Anemone,

I'm getting quite conflicting informtion from fellow reefers with regard to b.wellsi. Some like you say it isn't that sensitive to light and is as easy to keep as b.merliti or an acan. Others, like myself and Jesus found that the b.wellsi we acquired are very sensitive to light and will not expand at all if exposed to direct halide light. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same species or it is just a matter of where the original specimen was collected (e.g. deep water or more upper slope, etc).

Any pics of your b.wellsi under a halide? Thanks in advance...

Plankton

Anemone
11/01/2004, 04:58 PM
This is the coral. This picture was taken when I first got it and placed it n thebottom of the tank. It expands even more higher up...it's just near the seaswirl and skimmer outflows so clear pics are hard to get (at least for me...blurry pics are easy :D ). Hope this helps with the identification at least...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/518/1075RedBlastoWellsi.jpg

Kevin

downset
11/01/2004, 05:39 PM
this one is RIGHT under my halides if it were any closer it would prolly catch fire :)
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/31383bonzai_blasto.JPG

downset
11/01/2004, 05:40 PM
Same thing with this one
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/31383red_blast.JPG

Jus Reefin
11/01/2004, 05:46 PM
From what I have read they come from Low light conditions in the wild. I always start mine off on the sand bed or Apoxy them to a Ledge low in the tank. I always move them up gradually to where I want them. I just fragged a piece for me and Jacob and it sits on the sand bed about 35" from a 250w MH and it opened 2 hours after fragging.

FYI, I have kept them under PC's lights with great success so I don't think they need a Lot of light but can adapt to it.

downset
11/01/2004, 07:13 PM
They can be under any light i had these under pcs for a long time,but when i put them under halides the growth was 10x faster