PDA

View Full Version : Testing Calcium is this Normal?

fixmgood
11/14/2001, 07:14 PM
I am currently using the Seachem test kit to test calcium levels.Is it normal to use up two syringes of Titrant before color changes?
Ca level is at 400ppm.
I am using Seachem as Salifert was unavailable,not that it makes much difference as they are pretty much the same.When using Salifert I also added 2 syringes before color changed.

Seachem gives a bottle of liquid as a reference sample which is exactly 450ppm.When the sample is tested it only takes one syringe of titrant.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

botp2k1
11/14/2001, 10:04 PM
I would say that is not normal on a Salifert kit. Sounds like you were performing the test incorrectly. This is off the top of my head but...

Salifert Ca Test

Add 4 ml of water
Add 2 drops of the small bottle
Mix for 6 seconds
Fill syringe with the plastic tip attached until the seal of the plunger is at the top line, note there is suppose to be a air gap between the liquid and the black seal
Slowly drip and mix at the same time until color turns from blue to pink/red
Read the number where the seal ends up and look across chart to match Ca level

Did you do all of the above?

fixmgood
11/14/2001, 11:33 PM
The tests were performed as per the directions.The Seachem directions are really much easier to follow.It just seemed strange that I had to use two syringes on two different brands.

Maybe I just discovered super calcium :eek1: :eek2: :D

ChrisM
11/15/2001, 02:32 AM
How old are your test kits. I had the same problem with a LaMotte Ca Hardness test, but I chalked it up to the kit being 5 years old.:D

Chris

Skipper
11/15/2001, 03:05 PM
With a Salifert Calcium test kit, you would not use two syringes to reach a reading of 400. Only one syringe would be necessary. I would suspect that either your re-agents are old (bad) or the instructions were not followed properly.

fixmgood
11/15/2001, 05:45 PM
The kit was purchased about 2-3 months ago (from Marine Depot),so I presume it is fresh.I have followed the instructions to the letter.

I have not found the time to call Seachem direct.I figured that some one might be able to shed some light on the problem.