PDA

View Full Version : Feeding candy cane?

twois
10/29/2004, 06:19 PM
I got a small candy cane frag from a friend about a week ago and although it seems to be doing alright, I cannot for the life of me figure out the feeding of this thing.

During the day it 'puffs' up nice and full, the same way it looked in his tank before I got it, and at night the polyps shrink down. Never do I see any tentacles, not even if I tempt it with the juice from any frozen foods (I've tried it with the juice from the Prime Reef I occasionally feed, and with just straight-up shrimp 'juice'), not at night, never.

I've got it about 2/3rds of the way down in a 29gal with a 96w PC light on it, in a fairly low-current area. Any ideas?

baja_01
10/29/2004, 06:25 PM
It will put out tenticles if it is hungry.

Salt'n'Lime
10/30/2004, 01:28 AM
i agree... mine took a few weeks if i remember right to open up and feed at night. definately feed it at night though..... once accustomed to the tank it will day feed too .

Quiet1
10/30/2004, 09:22 AM
I feed my candy choppped krill every few days, after the lights go out.

Quiet1

Jus Reefin
11/01/2004, 06:39 PM
Iv'e had mine over 2 years and have never fed it. It has tripled in size since I got it and seems to split a head every other month or so

PRC
11/03/2004, 03:43 PM
Mine eats during the day when the lights are on. When I feed the tank it's tentacles come out a little. The current has to be negligible so that the food can sit on the polyp until it grabs onto it. It eats mostly Cyclopeeze and crushed Formula one pellets, though I've recently started to feed it chunks of thawed mash cubes, which could be clam, shrimp, oyster, mussel, fish, etc.
It's growing like crazy, the polyps seem to split pretty much continuously. They seem to take about a month before they start splitting again. It took a long time to get started though, probably about eight months.