PDA

View Full Version : unknown visitors

1package
10/28/2004, 08:27 PM
Based on the photos that I saw today my mystery guest from earlier were copepods. Please take a look at my gallery at the two photos. I think they are unknown tubes - what are they and do they have anything to do with the pod explosion?

wvdaisy
10/28/2004, 10:14 PM
I've seen a few of those in my tank but have no clue what they are so I'll be interested in the answer, also. :)
Lana

beerguy
10/28/2004, 10:15 PM
They are sponges. Harmless filter feeders.

Cheers

firefish2020
10/28/2004, 10:34 PM
Yep sponges, you can see them growing in the nano at the shop too. I hope I find a blue one one day. They are growing between the zoanthids. Dont take them out of the water.

hmott
10/29/2004, 07:49 AM
I have blue and purple sponge growing on a piece of liverock, if you can tell me how to frag them I can get you some. It was awesome when I bought it but they sort of migrate into the dark side of the rock. I don't know how to frag them and you couldn't really just cut them I don't think. I may have pictures I'll ask my wife and post them to be sure its what you are looking for.

firefish2020
10/29/2004, 11:35 AM
Dont try to, sponges are hard harvest, and taking them out of the water can kill them as they cant have any air in them at any time.

mcox33
10/29/2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by hmott
I have blue and purple sponge growing on a piece of liverock, if you can tell me how to frag them I can get you some. It was awesome when I bought it but they sort of migrate into the dark side of the rock. I don't know how to frag them and you couldn't really just cut them I don't think. I may have pictures I'll ask my wife and post them to be sure its what you are looking for.

put a rock beside, actually against the sponge for a few days then pull it off and it will grow on the new rock as long as it had attached to the sponge before you move the new rock. you can spread it that way.

1package
10/29/2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the information. This is unbelievable - I swear, there is dried up reef rock in there and 4 frags from my tank at the house. How in the world did all of these sponges and pods get introduced. Obviously there are pods in the tank at the house but I rarely see the tiny ones and they are in the 10s of thousands in this tank. There is not one piece of "outside rock" added....I did buy live sand.

I hate to say this but there were also 3 more unknown visitors that I booted out 1 yesterday and 2 today, excluding the keyhole limpids or stomatella (they looked the same).

I saw a photo when researching the pods, but was not looking for them at the time so I paid little attention. They are snail like - soft on bottom, shell on top, oval shaped, fast moving (comparitively), like the dark, two antennas and are 1/4" - 3/8" long.

I am sure I can find them again, but if anyone knows.

1package
10/29/2004, 02:34 PM
OK found another one of the snail like creatures, pulled him out. Hopefully I am not killing the most reef friendly creatures on earth or anything - better safe than sorry. Still have not figured out the photos in the message thing so I put unknown snail photos in my gallery. Please let me know, it is the top and bottom view.

firefish2020
10/29/2004, 08:25 PM
I dont remember the name but these look like the snails they sell at Liveaquaria for like 1.99 or so. I do know they reproduce fast, come in on live rock and are reef safe algae eaters.