PDA

View Full Version : Anthias spawning ??

New Reefer
11/14/2001, 07:27 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have information on Anthias spawning in captivity?

I've just noticed 300-500 orange-red eggs which seems to be covered with a thin slimy layer, which must have been deposited during the previous 5 hours. The only fish in the tank are one A. clarkii, one Dottyback, and two Anthias (one definately a male).

I've not noticed any unusual behaviour with them, but I've been rather busy the last two weeks, and have not paid as close attention as normal.

Apart from the fish, there is only one large Astrea snail, numerous "small critters", and about 18 different corals in the ~55 gal tank, all unlikely to have deposited these eggs. I'm suspecting the Anthias, but do not have any information on their spawning behaviour, or on rearing techniques. I have successfully raised numerous Clarkii Clownfish broods in the past, and would love to try my hand with the Anthias (if it's their eggs...), but this has caught be totally unprepared :)

Any information will thus be highly appreciated.

Hennie

New Reefer
11/14/2001, 03:27 PM
For what it's worth: the eggs are slightly larger than 1mm in diameter (measured under a microscope), and have become darker in colour during the day....

FMarini
11/15/2001, 08:46 AM
New reefer:
I hadn't responded until recently in hopes of others w/ direct experience responding first.
W/ that said.
Al three of the fish you mention in your tank will breed in the home aquarium.
I check the breeders registry (and i recommend you do the same). It contains breeding reports from many marine species.
I picked the anthias squamipinnis
http://www.breeders-registry.gen.ca.us/database/PSESQU01.htm

these fish are pelagic spawners, so are these eggs you mention attached to rockwork or unattached.
the coloration(and if sticky) sounds like eggs from either the clown fish or a snail. The psuedos lay eggs that clump together(and egg mass).
So lets try to narrow this down
frank

New Reefer
11/15/2001, 10:25 AM
Frank,

Thanks for the response.

I did check the Breeder's registry (even before posting here), but I could only find the one posting you refer to - unfortunately it does not describe the eggs.

Al three of the fish you mention in your tank will breed in the home aquarium.
Yes, but the Anthias are the only pair - the other two are solitary(single) fish. Also, I've bred Clowns, and these eggs were NOT their's.

these fish are pelagic spawners, so are these eggs you mention attached to rockwork or unattached.
That's what I thought.

Here's a photo of the eggs, taken ~3-5 hours after the spawning. Hope it helps with identification...

http://home.gardenet.co.za/landman/eggs.jpg

Regards,
Hennie

zep
11/15/2001, 01:09 PM
Have you considered that perhaps some of your corals spawned and some of the eggs were caught in the mucus like substance? I have had two corals release eggs and they both looked similiar to those.

Just a stretch

LiquidShaneo
11/15/2001, 01:33 PM
FWIW, I've had some friends report that their lone clown (no other clown in the tank) has spawned and layed eggs by herself. This would be my guess as to what happened...

Shane (aka 'liquid')

New Reefer
11/15/2001, 02:22 PM
LiquidShaneo: I've had some friends report that their lone clown (no other clown in the tank) has spawned and layed eggs by herself. This would be my guess as to what happened...
No, I have bred Clowns before, and know what their eggs look like. They also deposit their eggs on a hard surface (rock), which is meticulously cleaned for a week or two before the spawning. These eggs were "floating" at mid-tank level, above any rock.

I've had the coral spawning possibility mentioned by someone else as well - will follow up on this (though I doubt it :))

Hennie