PDA

View Full Version : Introducing corals? How many? How soon?

ReefMole
11/13/2001, 07:22 PM
Hi all,

I've come to the point in my tank development where I'd like to introduce some beginner corals. The tank has fully cycled and all the levels look great (ph,alk,nitri,nitra,ammonia,cal). Can I put a few different frags in at the same time or do I need to introduce them one at a time and as slowly as fish? I don't plan on overloading my tank with a bunch of large specimens and am not in a big hurry to fill it up, but at the same time it would be more convenient for me to put several corals in at the same time if there's no problem with that procedure. What kind of acclimation do they need? I'm mostly thinking of adding things like leathers, mushrooms, star polyps, brains, colt corals, etc. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!!

eudaimonia
11/13/2001, 10:18 PM
Invertebrates are not the same as fish. They don't create as much pollution or have the same conflicts and drawbacks that fish do.

Use common sense in stocking your tank. Even though inverts don't produce much pollution, they do certainly create some. So go slowly. No more than a few different specimens a week for cautions sake.

anathema
11/14/2001, 02:10 PM
For the first I would start with one. That will let you know that your tank is doing well for sure. Once you are comfortable with that then you can add several at a time.

deb
11/15/2001, 09:10 PM
If all goes well after adding some corals how many is ok to have?

How many corals is too many?

gregt
11/15/2001, 09:30 PM
How many is too many is a difficult question to answer. Just as with fish, the answer is relative to the situation.

Probably the biggest limiting factors is competition between the corals. Keep in mind that different species can and will compete with deadly force to maintain territory.