PDA

View Full Version : Why powerfilter w/o pad?

yikan
11/13/2001, 05:46 PM
Hi:

I am thinking about setting up a 10g nano tank in my computer room. I have the following questions about filtration tho:

1. I don't plan to add a skimmer now. So in addition to LR/LS, what else filtration do I need? Do I *need* a powerfilter like penguin if I do water change per week?

2. I've heard people using powerfilter BUT w/o the filter pads. Does this mean they remove the bio filter AND the chemical filter? I am wondering why they do that and what's the purpose for adding a power filter then??? :eek1: I have a penguin bio-wheel mini, and could I make use of it?

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestion.

Timbo
11/13/2001, 05:53 PM
yikan writes:

1. I don't plan to add a skimmer now. So in addition to LR/LS, what else filtration do I need? Do I *need* a powerfilter like penguin if I do water change per week?

You know need any filtration. This is the beauty of a reef system, the bacteria growing on the rock and sand provides all the filtration you need. If you need further explanation, I suggest reading some books. The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium Vol. I would be an excellent start.

2. I've heard people using powerfilter BUT w/o the filter pads. Does this mean they remove the bio filter AND the chemical filter? I am wondering why they do that and what's the purpose for adding a power filter then??? I have a penguin bio-wheel mini, and could I make use of it?

Yes, that's what they do. The sole purpose of using the powerfilter in these situations is to act as a source of circulation and a reservoir for carbon use if you should ever want to use it. The bio wheel mini would probably be fine, just take out the bio wheel, you don't need that nitrate factory ;)

yikan
11/13/2001, 06:16 PM
Thanks Tim:

An excellent website & nano tank you've got there. I wish I could have one like that. :D

Do you mean, correct me if I am wrong, many people use power filter just like using a "powerhead"? The only extra thing the powerfilter does more than a powerhead is the ability to put in some chemical bag?

I like your top-off DIY, do you consider building them and sell for less than what a Nurce unit costs? I will be very interested...

thanks