PDA

View Full Version : QT tank-new water?

beamer
10/26/2004, 05:12 PM
I enjoyed your article in reef keeping on Qt. You had suggested keeping sponges in your tank so that if you had to set up a QT you would already have your biological filter.

I think I am going to need to QT my existing fish. 20 of them in a 120 gl reef. My hippo tang has several very tiny spots that have been coming and going for a month or so, my foxface has one or two spots, everyone else is fine in that regard. However my yellow tang has a tinge of red on its dorsal fin and my foxface has a tinge of red all around the edges of his fins. I was told this was a bacterial infection and was sold some Kanamycin caps to dissolve in with the food to feed the whole tank. I have done this for the last 3 days. From your article I guess I should not have done it even though the LFS assured me it would be fine.

I've been in this hobby for only 6 mos with an existing tank that I bought. I haven't added fish there were already too many. At that time I didn't know about a QT tank. Later I bought a 10 gl tank to use in case I needed it at a later date for something new. That 10 gl is going to be a wee bit small for 20 fish. I know you suggested I think around a 50 gl tank or so, shallow, vs a rubbermaid tub. (of which I did go out and buy 2x 30 gl tubs a week ago).

I guess my question is if this is going to be just a one time thing where I QT all fish ( I say one time because in the future anything that comes in will go in my 10 gl QT--no ifs ands or buts!!)and medicate, do I really need to buy another tank set up or will I be o.k. with tubs?

And if so how would be the best way to set it up? I assume I should not use my existing water or sponges that I have placed in my sump because of the ich so I would need to use new water -right?

In a few weeks I will be breaking down my tank to move and figured that would be a good time to do the QT.

Thanks for any advice.

Cindy

Steven Pro
10/26/2004, 06:43 PM
I enjoyed your article in reef keeping on Qt. You had suggested keeping sponges in your tank so that if you had to set up a QT you would already have your biological filter.

Yes, this is my strong preference.

I think I am going to need to QT my existing fish. 20 of them in a 120 gl reef. My hippo tang has several very tiny spots that have been coming and going for a month or so, my foxface has one or two spots, everyone else is fine in that regard. However my yellow tang has a tinge of red on its dorsal fin and my foxface has a tinge of red all around the edges of his fins. I was told this was a bacterial infection and was sold some Kanamycin caps to dissolve in with the food to feed the whole tank. I have done this for the last 3 days. From your article I guess I should not have done it even though the LFS assured me it would be fine.

While I do generally urge people to not treat their display tanks, an antibiotic administered through the food is really not that bad.

By the way, 20 fish in a 120 is a bunch considering three of them grow rather large; the Hippo, Yellow Tang, and Foxface.

I've been in this hobby for only 6 mos with an existing tank that I bought. I haven't added fish there were already too many. At that time I didn't know about a QT tank. Later I bought a 10 gl tank to use in case I needed it at a later date for something new. That 10 gl is going to be a wee bit small for 20 fish. I know you suggested I think around a 50 gl tank or so, shallow, vs a rubbermaid tub. (of which I did go out and buy 2x 30 gl tubs a week ago).QUOTE]

I am glad you realize there are too many fish for this tank.

[QUOTE]I guess my question is if this is going to be just a one time thing where I QT all fish ( I say one time because in the future anything that comes in will go in my 10 gl QT--no ifs ands or buts!!)and medicate, do I really need to buy another tank set up or will I be o.k. with tubs?

The tubs will work ok, but I would bet you will need more than just the two. You may need as many as four. I don't know without a complete listing of your fish, but each of the Tangs and the Foxface should be housed separately.

And if so how would be the best way to set it up? I assume I should not use my existing water or sponges that I have placed in my sump because of the ich so I would need to use new water -right?

No, go ahead and use water and the sponge filters from the display. The fish are already infected and need treated. As they are cured/cleaned, so to will the water.

beamer
10/26/2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks for your quick response Stephen!

>>The tubs will work ok, but I would bet you will need more than just the two. You may need as many as four. I don't know without a complete listing of your fish, but each of the Tangs and the Foxface should be housed separately.<<

If I can get a 50 gl tub would I be o.k. putting them all in together or are we still talking about multiple tubs? The 2 tangs and foxface are best buds and get along very well.

Maybe I'd better bring out more sponges. What type and size of sponge do you Recommend? What I'm using is real firm.

Also I'm glad to know that I'm o.k. using the Kanamycin in the food. I've used it for 3 nights now and was told to use it for 10 days. I was noticing some spongie like growth in my tank. I didn't know if it was there before I started using the antibiotics or not. Just seemed like there was a lot of it and I guess I'm kind of paranoid now.

Is Kanamycin suppose to have a hard pellet inside the capsule? I was expecting a powder. I didn't know if this was normal or if I had gotten a hold of an old package.

This is what I have in my tank:

120 gl reef,fish,coral; Aqua C EV 180 skimmer,
PC lighting. A new 44 gl sump/fuge (to be installed). Regal Tang, Yellow Tang, Foxface, 4 Lyre tail Anthias, 3 Blue-Green Chromis, 2x Zebra Gobbies, 2 x 6 Lined Wrasses, Clarki Clown, Coral Beauty, Spotted Hawk Fish, Two-Spotted Hogfish, Christmas Wrasse, Sandsifting starfish, 2x Open Brains, Crocea Clam and a lot of LPS.

It is such a relief to know that I can use tank water when I QT . I was worried about having to put the fish in new salt water.

Thanks for everything!

Cindy

Steven Pro
10/27/2004, 05:16 PM
I am using Hydro sponge filters now, but most any brand will do.

I would have expected the Kanamycin to be a powder inside the capsule.

I guess one 50 gallon tub and two 30 gallon tubs would work for your fish load.

beamer
10/27/2004, 09:27 PM
Thanks, I'll put those sponges on my list tonight.

Like you, I expected the Kanamycin to be powder. I bought 2 packs of it (10 caps each) and the other pack is also pellet like. The capsule was easy to take apart so it wasn't like it had gotten wet plus it is in a blister pak.

I've noticed the last few days that my crocea clam is not opening up all of the way. Could it be because of the antibiotic?

I can understand why you are a proud friend of Anthony Calfo. I've talked to Anthony Calfo once on the phone after ordering one of his books. He seems to be a really great guy and was very helpful to me. After his call to me I wound up buying his other book. Love it!

Cindy

Steven Pro
10/28/2004, 05:55 AM
I've noticed the last few days that my crocea clam is not opening up all of the way. Could it be because of the antibiotic?

If all you have done is soak the fishes' food in it, then I doubt that is the problem.

You only mention that you have PC lighting for your tank, but don't say how much. Crocea clams are fairly light hungry. Is this clam high up in the tank? My Crocea is in the top third of my tank under 150 watt MH's and doing well.

beamer
10/31/2004, 07:35 PM
My clam is looking better now-normal. I'm sorry I did not follow up on the lighting that I am using.

I keep my clam up on the very top of my rock so it can get as much light as possible. I think it is beautiful and probably my favorite in the tank, although I guess they are all my favorites.
I use PC lighting, 2x96 watt 10,000k and 2x96 actinic 03's. These bulbs are right at 6 months old. I believe the previous owner told me to replace them around 7-8 months. I already have a new set sitting in the garage for when I need them.

Thanks for your responses.

Cindy

beamer
10/31/2004, 07:50 PM
I just went back an reread your article on QT treatments. It sounds like you favor the hyposalinity and frequent water changes. Would there be any problem with doing both the hyposalinity and the frequent water changes at the same time?

Cindy

Steven Pro
10/31/2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by beamer
I just went back an reread your article on QT treatments. It sounds like you favor the hyposalinity and frequent water changes. Would there be any problem with doing both the hyposalinity and the frequent water changes at the same time?

No, it just makes keeping the proper salinity a bit tricky.

beamer
10/31/2004, 08:30 PM
Thanks!

Cindy