PDA

View Full Version : Blackout

vermonter310
10/26/2004, 02:13 PM
I'm considering a signifacant blackout period in an attempt to get ahead of this brown algae/diatoms. Possibly several days to a week. Any one have any thoughts on this? Will it be detrimental to the fish? Nothing else in the tank I think would be negatively affected. I do have a single mushroom rock that I'll move to QT under NO for the duration. I could do the same for the fish but they would be crowded as the Q tank is a 10g. This of course assumes I'd even be able to catch them :D

TIA

Mike

spotfin
10/26/2004, 02:23 PM
Are you going to completely black the tank out? As in cover it with something so there is absolutely no light at all getting in? If so, I would remove the fish.

vermonter310
10/26/2004, 02:38 PM
I was afraid someone was going to suggest moving them. Hmmm...What if I didn't cover the tank but extended the lights out period?

cutting
10/26/2004, 03:38 PM
Just curious, how much flow do you have in your tank. I know that when i had a similar problem that it was suggested to increase the amount of water current and to try to create cross currents. in an effort to keep any excess nutrients from settling and feeding such problems. that way your getting the most out of your skimmer.
I've also tried cutting photoperiod, but as soon as i went back to the regular sched the problem came back.
"for me" more flow worked to solve the problem, along with making sure that all of the food that I was putting in was being eaten by my fish and/or inverts.
hopefully you find the cause of of your algae plague.

vermonter310
10/26/2004, 03:44 PM
I have 3 powerheads in the tank, 230gph each for a total of 690 gph.

Ewan
10/26/2004, 04:05 PM
Hi Mike.

A blackout was my final stand against dinoflagellates many years ago. No coincidencethat it was my final stand. It certainly helped for me to get the upperhand. Very, very powerful against dinoflagellates. I have no experience with blackouts VS. cyano, diatoms.

I did remove the fish, however.

E.

Hedonist
10/26/2004, 06:49 PM
Just a thought on the flo of your poweheads Mike.. are they running full capacity? Do you have a sponge prefilter or have you cleaned the impellors lately? You might try moving them so they point more toward the bottom of your tank... If I remember correctly, they were towards the top?

Might be worth a shot...
ttyl
Denise

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/27/2004, 04:42 AM
Bryan would like that word MORE FLO !!

SaltyDogg
10/27/2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by SOMEthinsFISHY
Bryan would like that word MORE FLO !!

You got that right John.......I just love more FLO...........!!!!!

Bryan-

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/27/2004, 12:18 PM
MR FLO himself was here !!