PDA

View Full Version : New carpet technology that's perfect for fish folks

LaserGecko
10/26/2004, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone,

We're researching floor covering ideas for redoing our home. A lot of the "home makeover" shows have been using the new Legato carpet system from Home Depot. Basically, it's a carpet with integrated moisture barrier, padding, etc. that comes in two foot squares that you install yourself. We checked it out last night and fell in love with it. It looks and feels great. You install it yourself without adhesives and you absolutely can't see any seams between pieces. The padding has a sticky feel to keep it from sliding on the floor. It worked very well on Home Depot's highly polished concrete floor so it ought to work incredibly well on a normal, less slippery surface.

The really cool part is the ease of replacement. If you ruin a piece, you replace ONLY that tile of carpet. If traffic patterns wear down a path from one door to the other, you replace ONLY those pieces. If your sump overflows, you don't have to pay an expensive extra fee for saltwater removal.

If you're getting ready to install a new tank, put the tank on the bare floor and carpet around it. No wear marks, no crushed padding, easily replaceable if you move out of the house or move the tank. It would literally take all of five minutes to put down new carpet in the bare area.

It's about the same price as good carpet: $2.49 per square foot. If it's a little more expensive, then the ease and incredible cheapness of replacement more than makes up for it.

http://www.legatocarpet.com for more information.

Thought ya'll would like to know. We haven't bought it yet, but I don't see how we could consider anything else with a two year old, two younger grandkids, a basset hound, and my (eventual) reef tank(s).

Jason

opihi
10/26/2004, 06:45 PM
huh. i just got a chance to look at it, and it is pretty interesting. please update if you do decide to use it, as i'll be looking for flooring options in the next 6-12 months.

jeff

TippyToeX
10/27/2004, 04:08 PM
Quite interesting, I'd like to check it out in person. :)