PDA

View Full Version : cheapest way to do RO/DI?

freelancing
11/13/2001, 11:01 AM
About three meetings ago (I believe it was the first DFWMAS meeting I had attended), someone (Brad perhaps?) mentioned that an inexpensive alternative to the LFS for RO/DI set-ups could be found at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Being that I have a Lowe's card (and the fact that purchases are 90 days, same as cash), I'm looking for the right set-up at Lowe's... unless one of you guys/gals knows of a place on-line that has an even better deal on an RO/DI unit.

I've talked to the folks who man that section of my local Lowe's and none of them (naturally) know anything about the aquaria applications for RO/DI and they really weren't able to answer any of the questions I had.:mad:

If memory serves, a 1 micron or better filter is required... but I'm not sure if all of these doo-dads have standards (like film has ISO/ASA) so that if I buy one particular brand of RO/DI unit, I'd be able to get the appropriate micron filters for these units at a reasonable price.

I gathered from that meeting a few months back that it was important to get a clear casing so that the funk (for lack of a better term) could be monitored visually... was this a correct assumption?

Obviously, I am totally knew to this stuff. I have a hot/cold & drain stack-out in my garage, but I don't even have a sink set-up in there yet and I'll probably have to have a plumber come out and take care of it for me (more $). Is there something specific I should look for in a faucet hook-up and/or sink, etc. that anyone would recommend before I make a purchase?:confused:

Is UV sterilization important? As long as I'm spending money on this stuff, I'd rather get the best I can afford rather than paying now and paying more later. Any advice, warnings or horror stories you can offer will be much appreciated.

-ShellEy

Lilgrasshopper
11/30/2001, 01:40 AM
To be honest, the most expensive thing about RO/DI is the RO membrane. Depending which one you get, it can get expensive. A membrane that can remove 99% of the stuff (silicate) will cost about 80 bucks or so. The micron filters and activated carbons are cheap...about 5 dollars a pop. You can buy a Kent Hi-S 50gpd for about 250. Also, depending on how many gallons a day you want to filter. I think 50 gpd is decent...What I do is that I hook it up to a standard faucet and run the output into a rubbermaid tub (32gallon tub) That is my storage supply of water for topoff. Then I put a pump inside the tub and connect that to a vinyl hose. I turn it on when I need some water for topoff. I like the fact that I dont' have to go to the shop every few days for topoff.

freelancing
11/30/2001, 04:12 PM
Actually, another DFWMAS member alerted me to a deal @ Lowe's. I got a 5-stage RO filter (not DI, but still decent) for $150. I haven't hooked it up yet because I need a plumber to hook up a sink in my garage. Thanks for the tips, though.