PDA

View Full Version : Overflows

vermonter310
10/26/2004, 07:57 AM
I have decided to add a refugium to my tank. I'm looking for what everyone's using for overflows and how they like them?

Return pumps too.

Thanks

natybug
10/26/2004, 09:35 AM
Are you adding a refugium to grow macro algae and critters or just a sump to house equipment?

I've been running a LifeReef overflow that I got used off eBay and I've been very happy with it. It has never lost its siphon.

Return pump has been a Mag12, I think you might get mixed reviews on them, but I've been pleased so far (20 months).

The reason I asked if it's a sump vs. a 'fuge (or sump including a 'fuge) is because of the contact time. A refugium likes a more gentle flow to give the macro more time to suck up nutrients and a sump will want a pretty high flow so the heater gets a lot of contact. So that's going to impact your pump sizing.

vermonter310
10/26/2004, 01:45 PM
For the Macro and critters.

spotfin
10/26/2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Mike,
The 3 overflows I have are Amiracle brand. They seem to work fine, although I have an issue with the flow rates( the pvc fittings restricting flow). Over all, they seem to work fine. I use a Mag 18 for the return pump. No problems with it. I used a Mag 7 when I had a similar set up on the 75 gal for several years w/o any problems.
I run a lot of flow through my refugium. Mainly because I don't want any power heads in the main tank. I have good flow through the tank with just the Mag 18 return.
Jason

Hedonist
10/26/2004, 06:45 PM
I also am using amiracle over flows in both tanks... seem to work okay but I had them loose the siphon in each tank once... the SH tank was probably due to the flow being slow but usually that is not a problem in most tanks... not sure why the 45 lost it's flow but ya gotta watch out for accumulaiton bubbles in the U tube if the flow is too slow

I use a mag 12 in the 45 hooked into a SQWD and a mag 7 in the SH tank, also using a SQWD for the return flo

Have fun! I think it will help loads, esp with your bug population!
Denise

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/27/2004, 04:47 AM
I use 2 amiricle overflows in my 300 and 2 rio 3100s for retuens plus a big surge pump ! BRYAN will like this word i have a lot of FLOW in that refugium !
and it is perfectly clear !

spotfin
10/27/2004, 06:48 AM
You will need enough flow to keep the water flowing thru the u tubes. If your return pump isn't pushing enough flow back into the tank, the flow in the u tubes will slow down and bubbles can accumulate in the tubes. Another trick is slightly angle the inside overflow box. If one end (the end where the tube is located) is a little higher than the other end, the bubbles won't get sucked into the tube. The first wet/dry filter I set up had a hagen powerhead as the return pump. Occasionally bubbles would gather in the top of the u tube. Later, I set up the first refugium using the same overflow box but with the Mag 7 pump and never had any bubbles in the u tube again.

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/27/2004, 07:32 AM
a miricles do not have u tubes the have 2 2inch hoses on each one so i have 4 hoses to contend with !

SaltyDogg
10/27/2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by SOMEthinsFISHY
I use 2 amiricle overflows in my 300 and 2 rio 3100s for retuens plus a big surge pump ! BRYAN will like this word i have a lot of FLOW in that refugium !
and it is perfectly clear !

ahhhh.....flow, flow and more flow. I love it..........:)

Bryan-

smtarr
10/27/2004, 11:28 AM
Jason, I read where you have no powerheads in your main display tank. In my BIG tank I want to minimize the amount of equipment IN the display tank. Sooo, do you think it would be possible to get enough current in the main display with just returns? The rest of you guys pipe in if you have comments on this, esp Bryan, since I know you know a lot about currents and FLOWS! :-))) Sue

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/27/2004, 02:17 PM
bryan i know this girl who is single u would

lik

her her name
is

FLO !!

SaltyDogg
10/27/2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by SOMEthinsFISHY
bryan i know this girl who is single u would

lik

her her name
is

FLO !!

Good one John..........:eek1:

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/27/2004, 07:13 PM
i knew u would like that one !

reeflovers4
10/27/2004, 09:51 PM
JOHN, don't you have a U tube from the overflow box in the tank go over the topside to the drain hoses ??? That's how my 72 bow is set up !

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/28/2004, 05:24 AM
Mine are not u tubes the whole device is a built in whachamacalit ! next time u are here with the brownies u can notice !

Hedonist
10/28/2004, 05:47 AM
I know how some of you like lots of flow in the refuge, but I am with Dawn on this one... the point of the refugium is not only to house macro and bugs but to also settle out detritus... also most skimmers are located in the vicinity of the refuge too... the more contact time with raw water will allow skimmers (and macro) to do their thing... IMO

Flow in the tank, which is important in most cases, can be achieved other ways...
denise

reeflovers4
10/28/2004, 06:39 AM
Ok John - how is the water getting from the inside of the tank to the outside and down to the sump - u tube maybe ?

SaltyDogg
10/28/2004, 01:25 PM
A happy medium is the ticket on this topic..not to slow and not to fast.....more contact time in your ref... is good, but you don't want your detritus to settle on the bottom either. Having your detritus stay water borne so that your skimmer can more efficently remove it would seem to be the best of both worlds......I have to from time to time take a turkey baster and blow the detritus around some in my sump to get it back into the water column so it can be removed. I have a few ideas for my next sump on how to help in this area some.....

Bryan-

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/28/2004, 01:27 PM
i will show you my bed in person on friday !! grin !!