PDA

View Full Version : Closed Loop

hmott
10/25/2004, 01:05 PM
Ok, because I didn't get to ask them yesterday, I'll ask my questions now. I've just got a bunch of rambling questions for now. In a closed loop where do you put the intake hole? Also how do you keep it from sucking stuff into it, including small animals? Where should the returns be? I was thinking two up near the top on each side with a SQWD, but will it create an odd cirular flow if the intake is low and the return is high? If I run a closed loop with just two outputs do I still need powerheads? Should I do four returns, two low and two high in the back? Or should there be returns on the sides? Heck I'm really pretty unsure about any of it, I just prefer the look with no powerheads so I figured I'd go closed loop. Also I'm wonder about what to use to determin what size intake and return to use. Also how should the returns be pointed? Or do you use anything on the returns, just holes or pvc to direct the flow, or the gagets that move around, etc. Heck does anyone have better options than a close loop. Currently I have my refuge return and powerheads and I want more flow, and more random/turbulant flow without paying for a tunze and controller. If anyone has any article links they know of that would be great.

coralreefer
10/25/2004, 04:53 PM
Well I guess I asked for this didn't I :lol:

See if Melev'sreef (http://www.melevsreef.com/) helps any. Marc has a pretty good explanation of an external closed loop with a scwd toward the bottom of the page.

I'm running a closed loop but it's a little more basic that what you're asking about, I think. Think you need a guy for this. I'm plumbing challenged :D

firefish2020
10/25/2004, 10:29 PM
Trust me Tunze Streams are well worth the money. The flow they generate more than makes up for the fact that they look like a jet engine hanging in the tank LOL.