PDA

View Full Version : Cool forum! Interested in keeping an octopus. Comments on proposed set up...

MarkS
11/12/2001, 10:06 AM
I posted this thread at Aqualink: Octopus thread. (http://www.aqualink-too.com/ubb/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=005993)

I was originally going to make a small 5 gallon nano, but after reading here I see the 30 gallons is the minimum recommended. So, I changed the dimensions.

I would really like some help and comments. After reading this forum, a lot of what I thought I knew turned out to be wrong. I do not want to cause them an unnatural death by my lack of knowledge.

Thanks,
Mark

MarkS
11/13/2001, 09:24 PM
This forum is about keeping octopi? Right? :confused:

Mark

schmunkel98
11/13/2001, 11:51 PM
Mark

Yes, this forum is for talking about all Cephalopods including otcopuses. I recently have obtained two Octopus bimaculatus for my 135 gallon tank. However, I think you need to look into one of the smaller species if you plan on only using a 30 gallon. Check out The Ceph Page at http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/index.html for lots of species info and pictures. You are correct about octo-proofing your tank and needing a nice skimmer. I also have a good sized UV Filter on mine, but they are a bit costly. Give us a web address if you have a page so we can look at some pictures of you octopus when you get him!

Mike

P.S. - Also go to www.tonmo.com for more octopus info.

MarkS
11/14/2001, 12:54 AM
Thanks.

I checked out Ceph source already and looked at their vendor list. Seems that no one carries the pygmy octopus. :( I do not have the room or money for a big tank and are partial to nano sized tanks (heck, I'm the moderator of Aqualink's Nano Forum).

I really want one than can live comfortably in a tank no bigger than 30 gallons. That and I am building this tank from scratch and I am really leary of trying my luck at a bigger tank just yet.

I was going to do an all-in-one design as posted in my link, but that would mean a footprint of 24" x 24"! :eek: WAY too big. I changed my plans to a tank 24" long x 18" deep x 18" tall. This is 33 gallons +-. I will have a built in overflow leading into a 10 gallon sump under the stand. I will probably use a DIY skimmer that I have been working on.

I would like some clarification on the lighting and cooling issues.

First, the only time I have ever seen an octopus tank was at a LFS. It was really cool. They had the little guy in a large Eclipse with what looked to be nothing more than an actinic bulb. This provided a very pleasing and dimly lit tank. I want to duplocate that set up. What I want to know is just how much light do octopi need? How much is too much and how little is too little? I am planing on just using a NO 15watt actinic. Is this too little or too much?

Second, what about cooling. Assuming that I can find a pygmy <crossing fingers>, what is the correct temp range? I am planning on drilling two holes in the back of the sump for two IceProbes. Considering the size of the tank, it would be overkill to get a "standard" size chiller. I am hoping that these two in concert will keep the temp in the correct range, whatever that is. Remember, I live in south Texas, or as it should be called, "Hell on Earth". The temp here can reach 90 in the dead of winter and the room that I am putting the tank does not have an air conditioner.

Thanks for the UV idea. Never thought of that. All I have kept are reefs and those are no-no's. I'll keep that in mind.

Also, what would be some low to no light corals? All I can thing of are sun corals. Any suggestions or is this a bad idea?

Thanks,
Mark

P.S. Sorry about this bit of sarcasm:
Originally posted by MarkS
This forum is about keeping octopi? Right? :confused:

Mark

Twelve views, two of which were mine and not a single reply. I got a little frustrated.

schmunkel98
11/14/2001, 04:04 PM
Mark,

If you can't find an Atlantic Pygmy Octopus(Octopus joubini), then I would go for Octopus bimacloides. They are much smaller than the Octopus bimaculatus that I have, and they do not try and escape. I found a good link for the pygmy's at http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/octopus/o._joubini$narrative.html if you want to check it out. I think your range of 70 to 75 degrees is just fine for most species. I don't think you have to use a chiller probe to cool your tank either. I have two small computer fans cooling my 135 gallon down to 74 degrees, and I think that one small one would work fine on your 30 gallon custom. It does cause a bit more evaporation, so you need to add water more often. I would also advise getting a filter for your faucet to make sure you add in clean water. I also add RO/DI waiter from a local fish store for the big water changes, but the day to day stuff comes from a faucet filter. The octopus is very sensitive to water quality. As far as lighting, I would just use whatever is cheapest. Jimbo Louis from The Ceph Page used just plain office-type bulbs for his octopus tanks. I have some liverock in my tank, so I'm using two blue actinics and two 10k Corallife bulbs. I don't think many corals would be compatible, but I am not the man to ask about this. I do know that the longer you wait to add the octo the better. A well seasoned tank will ease the stress factor and give you a chance to get your levels and temps set right. My final suggestion is to sign up for the Ceph-List, which is a list server that has a ton of scientists and regular folks who keep cephalopods. The link for it is on The Ceph Page. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am new to keeping these guys too, but it soesn't seem quite as bad as everyone has made it out.

Mike
www.schmunkel.0catch.com

cephalopoder
11/14/2001, 04:33 PM
Getting a O. joubini is not easy. O. joubini is a deep water species out of range for most collectors nets. O. mercatoris is the octo that is commonly sold as O.joubini because it is a shallow water pygmy octo. Most pygmy octos don't make good pets because they hide alot and are never seen.
O.bimaculoides gets to be good size with a head the size of a large lemon and even a apple. A 30 gln tank is the minimum for a bimaculoides.
My current species is the rare mimic octopus and allthough small, this little guys arms are extremly long. So tank room is nice for any octo just so they can stech out and not feels walls.
Most of the octos that are for sale are not what they are sold as. Its a matter of doing the ID your self to know what you have. For many years there has not been much intrest in keeping cephs as pets so 99% of the places that sell them have no idea if the species they are selling you is a bimaculoides or bimaculatus or a joubini or a mercatoris or vulgaris or a bimac. It's up to the future owner to figure out what they were sent.
My first octo was a rare macropus species that was supposed to be a bimaculoides. I wasn't sad though, believe me!!!!!
The best book on cephalopod ID is "Cephalopods A World Guide". By Mark Norman. This has most of the cephs you will encounter from pet stores or mail order. But you could be one of the lucky ones to get something still unidentified.
One thing if your going to keep a octopus is make sure you have a species tank set up just for the octo. It has been cycled for 3 to 6 months and you use only RO/DI water, even for the slighest bit of copper comming from those copper water lines in your dwelling will eventually take its toll and kill your octos.

MarkS
11/14/2001, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I only use RO water since the tap water here is sludge. I buy it at my local grocery store, but I am going to buy a RO unit soon.

First thing though is to build the tank. What I will probably do is to set it up as a full reef for the first 3 - 6 months. This will allow the sand bed and rock to mature. At that time, I will transfer the occupants to another tank and get the octopus.

I'll try for a bimaculoides and hope for the best. It's a shame that you cannot rely on your source to get you the correct species. :( If worst comes to worst, I have a 55 gallon housing hamsters. I can always convert that.

Mark

cephalopoder
11/14/2001, 05:42 PM
You can get a bimaculoides from WWW.fishsupply.com.
I have worked very closely with Jack the owner helping him learn how to ID O.bimaculoides. So your chances are very good there. Bimaculoides are the common octo where he is located.
-chris

MarkS
11/14/2001, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the link! They have prices so low, I almost have to ask where they stole the stuff from! :D

$7 for a small false Percula!! WOW! The octopus is only $29. About half of what I expected to pay minus shipping.

Thanks,
Mark