PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about my 10g nano please help to answer them

hirm
11/12/2001, 09:57 AM
1. I have 9.5 lbs in the tank right now, should i add about 3-4 lbs more?

2. I have 5 astrea snails and 5 blue legged hermits in the tank right now, should i add in 1 cleaner shrimp or 2?

3. Plus the snails seem to mainly stay on the rocks so, i have a nice film of hair algae along my sandbed, should i get a emerald crab to take care of this?

thanks

ADAM

hirm
11/12/2001, 09:58 AM
the 9.5 is LIVE ROCK sorry

Q-ball
11/12/2001, 10:16 AM
Do you like the way it looks? Do you want more in there? I think you'll find that alot of people are stepping a bit away from the "pounds per gallon" rule. Tell us about the rest of the tank...substrate, skimmer, etc? What do you hope/plan to keep in it?

Q!!!

hirm
11/12/2001, 10:22 AM
no skimmer, 2 inch sand bed of carib sea, ( will become lvie sand over time) plan to keep 3 fish max, that being of .. 2 perc clowns 1 wrasse? and maybe a open brain coral.. and a bubble tip for the clowns..

lighting: 30 watt total.. 1 marine glo, 1 power glo.

Dakini
11/12/2001, 11:19 AM
Hello and Welcome!

Three fish might be a bit much for a 10 gallon, I have read of people successfully putting a pair of percs in a 10 but some would say even that is pushing it.

Clownfish do not necessarily need an anemone, they've been known to adopt corals and be very happy. 30 watts of light would not keep any anemone alive anyway (well maybe aptaisa :eek1: ) Mushrooms might survive with that amount of light but since you're working on a small scale check out www.ahsupply.com , should be able to get a retro kit pretty reasonably.

Have fun!

Q-ball
11/12/2001, 11:24 AM
Agree with the above...I'd say the 2 clowns would be enough in there. If you want to keep a bubbletip, I'm thinkin you'd want more light too. If you're sorta handy with easy wiring, check out www.ahsupply.com I put 4x13w pc's over a 7g and it cost me a wopping $65 shipped:) I personally don't think you'll need a skimmer on such a small tank as a 2g water change is so easy to do and would equal about a 25% water volume change. I think the rock issue is up to you, if you want more fine, but if it looks how you want it now it should be fine too. HTH & good luck!

Q!!!

Randy V
11/12/2001, 12:49 PM
Your sand bed is not live and you plan to keep three fish and not use a skimmer. Hair algae on your sand is going to be the least of your problems. You have to decide how you are going to export nutrients from your system with such a heavy bioload. Adding a few more pounds of live rock isn't going to do it. Also, you need to research the habits of the animals to match them to your problem/environment. You mention a cleaner shrimp as if it was part of your algae maintenance crew. I would reconsider adding the fish if you aren't going to skim. I would charge your sand bed with a kit or friend's dsb and not depend on all the necessary life migrating there from the rock you have. Maybe consider growing a macro for export. And you aren't going to be able to keep an anemonae alive with that lighting unless you feed it very heavily, which will exacerbate your nutrient problem. Think it through again or your tank and critters are going to be in trouble in my opinion.

slimytadpole
11/13/2001, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't add 3 fish to a tank that size, skimming or not. You could set the system up to a 1000 gallon sump, but that still won't give the fish the swimming room they'll need. 2 fish max. You can get away with 2 fish and no skimmer provided you do bi-weekly water changes (about a gallon each time). Macro algea would also help.
Also, you make no mention of how you plan on handling water circulation? I ran a similar 10 gallon, low light, skimmerless, and I used a small powerhead, and a Penguin mini (no bio-wheel) and was generally pleased with the tank. The mini hang on filter ($20-$25, I think) is nice because it breaks up the water surface.