PDA

View Full Version : I'm sooooo confused

Rowdymon
11/12/2001, 12:31 AM
Alright...

I've been going through, planning on getting together what's needed for a reef/lionfish tank. Lionfish meaning Dwarf Lionfish. I'm looking at a 55+ gallon tank.

Now I'm planning on meeting with the local Houston Reef Keeping Association, M.A.R.S.H. I can't remember what it stands for right now.

This will be my first saltwater tank, and the only experience I have with aquariums was freshwater in college, 8+ years ago.

My questions are many, even after reading through every internet site I can find, I'm still fairly lost. Skimmers, sumps, refugiums, cannister filters, wet/dry filters, powerheads, pumps, air pumps, etc..etc..

I want to set this tank up right, take my time, and come out with something I can be proud of, and of course, stare at for hours at a time. But what type of setup is easier to maintain over the long run. At this point, I'm considering going with the main tank, probably 55 gallons, a 10 gallon refugium, a 30 gallon sump, some sort of protien skimmer, a mag 500 for the skimmer, a mag 500 for the main tank, maybe a powerhead (what size I don't know), 4-6 inches of sand/crushed coral base, and probably 60-75 lbs of live rock. Since this is my first tank I figure I'll get the live rock uncured, and use that to cycle my tank. Wait until it goes through the cycle, I'm guessing 7-8 weeks to get it to cycle properly, then add in the dwarf lion.

At that point, I'm not sure...I don't know what kind of a load this tank would be able to handle. I also know I'm going tohave to be careful when add anything else to the tank, considering the lions appetite and large mouth.

I don't think this tank would be too small for a dwarf, but I'm not sure...any suggestions on how I can go about this tank? Can this really work without something like a cannister filter? etc..etc...

Any help you can give, would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Rowdymon

alf3482
11/12/2001, 10:45 AM
First off Hi and welcome to Reef Central.

I've been going through, planning on getting together what's needed for a reef/lionfish tank. Lionfish meaning Dwarf Lionfish. I'm looking at a 55+ gallon tank.

Good size to start with smae thing i started with.

Now I'm planning on meeting with the local Houston Reef Keeping Association, M.A.R.S.H. I can't remember what it stands for right now.

Good place to start. They should have lots of experience for you to grow with.

I'm still fairly lost. Skimmers, sumps, refugiums, cannister filters, wet/dry filters, powerheads, pumps, air pumps, etc..etc..

Not very unusual. I was too when i started and still made some of the wrong choices. So comming here was a good idea. You will find many knowlagable reefers here that will give you lots of help.

I'm considering going with the main tank, probably 55 gallons, a 10 gallon refugium, a 30 gallon sump, some sort of protien skimmer, a mag 500 for the skimmer, a mag 500 for the main tank, maybe a powerhead (what size I don't know), 4-6 inches of sand/crushed coral base, and probably 60-75 lbs of live rock. Since this is my first tank I figure I'll get the live rock uncured, and use that to cycle my tank. Wait until it goes through the cycle,

Choice of equip. is realy yours. But i would not put the CC in, use a good sand with many grain sizes. Live rock is good as well.

I don't think this tank would be too small for a dwarf, but I'm not sure...any suggestions on how I can go about this tank

You should be fine.

Can this really work without something like a cannister filter? etc..etc...

Yes it can. i have never used a can. filter. I use the most natural set up i can. Basic and easy. I have 4 tanks. 2 tanks 1 is a 55gal reef, i use rock, sand, and macro algea for filtration. Nothing else no skimmer, no carbon. I have two tanks just like the first two but they do have a skimmer( i have SPS in these tanks.). A couple of power heads in each. As for power heads 2 maxi jets 900 should be fine a long with your return. I use a mag 7 on mine.
I noticed you did not mention lighting for you corals you want to keep. Just remember to think of what corals you want to keep then choose your lighting set up.
HTH and good luck