PDA

View Full Version : Plywood tanks you say?

cmoresps
10/22/2004, 01:44 AM
Im so psyched, now i have a place local forum to run my mouth , lol.

All, wanted to share an idea i ran across that seemed to be quite feasible. I was looking for two 10 ft tanks for propegation ect, but could not find anything already made. I checked into garfs directions for building plywood tanks and was sold(they dont recommend anything over 8ft but I did it anyway). I built construction grade frames from 2x4s, used 3/4 plywood, and to seal it, used (drum roll please), swimming pool paint.

Swimming pool paint you say? Yep, I called garf with a questioin about the epoxy and they told me to use benjamin moore swimming pool paint number 04230. Before putting it on you fill all cracks and seems with bondo and sand to make a smooth surface. While it contains chlorinated rubber, garf swears by it, it was much cheaper and safer to apply than the epoxy. I am told MR 4000 used swimming pool paint as well.

I finally got these monstrosities in the basement and set them up, and no they dont leak ;) . I turned on the ro tonight, it should take 10 days to fill (they are 300 gal each), I was thinking I could go to lowe's buy a purifier and return it after using to speed it up.

Brandon do you know if the Braun filters or others remove copper, thats my biggest concern, otherwsie I would use part tap and prime.

I will let you all know if the tanks work out or if they kill everything, (I am going to run carbon to be safe), but thought the discussion might prove beneficial to someone.

Who knows, if goes well, I amy just paint the basement with pool paint and make it a mega reef, lol.

Charlie Davidson
10/22/2004, 09:21 AM
Man, you got it bad! Glad to hear from you and can't wait to see your setup? what part of town are you?

cmoresps
10/22/2004, 09:41 AM
Im in westover hills, I will be hosting the next frag off in December