PDA

View Full Version : Do Sally lightfoot crabs molt??!

motox
11/11/2001, 10:50 PM
So do they?! :D

Kent

Mako
11/11/2001, 11:01 PM
But of course. Mine do regularly.

motox
11/11/2001, 11:11 PM
Thanks Maco!

I just had the "first time" experience. Look in tank and WHAT THE #%$@!?!? What killed my crab!!? I ranted about it for a while. Then it hit me.... I bet it molted!! Thanks :)

Kent

Mako
11/11/2001, 11:58 PM
I know what you mean. :D Get's my GF everytime.

Physh1
11/12/2001, 12:04 AM
All crabs will molt. They shed there "skin" when they outgrow it. It's common but it can scare you if you haven't seen it before....

Cameron

motox
11/12/2001, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the help!

One more question... does the molt look EXACTLY like a live crab?! Well dead crab I guess. How in the heck do they get out of that exoskeleton!? It looks so much like the real thing that I am still gonna be a bit worried until I see it again :)

Kent

Mako
11/12/2001, 01:46 AM
Yep, exactly like the real McCoy. If you look carefully at the molt you will see a slit in the back of the main body cavity where the little devil popped out. Still amazes me every time I look.

motox
11/12/2001, 01:25 PM
Amazing!! :)

Thanks

Kent

Phillstone
11/12/2001, 10:58 PM
How the heck do they get out of there? I have saved several molt shells and can see NO visable breaks or holes.

I have to admit I was pretty p!$$ed off the 1st time i saw my sally dead, lol.

Just wait until you come home late some night and decide to turn the lights on and find all of your fish dead. ( They turn an off color while sleeping)

Phill

motox
11/13/2001, 12:13 AM
Hi Phillstone

Pretty funny, that was my reaction. I just had a scooter dissapear on me and then I look in and see the "dead" crab. Boy was I hot. I was still a bit concerned as I had not seen the Sally and wasn't fully convinced it was a molt. I peaked in tonght and sure enough, there she was picking away at the rocks! I'm hoping some day I might be lucky eough to catch her in the act. Must be fascinating to watch.

Kent