PDA

View Full Version : pH Monitor, which brand?

rick s
10/21/2004, 02:26 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a pH Monitor.

I'm thinking out loud:
Don't like the Milwaukee SM102 because it is not constantly on.

Don't like the Milwaukee SMS120 because the pH accuracy is +/-0.2 (Yep. Not 0.02).

I do like the Pinpoint; but, if it's like my thermometer, you have to be looking at just the right angle to read the display.

I really like the Reef Fanatic: LED display (should be very easy to read), constantly on, AC power, etc. But, I can't find many people that own one. Are they good/reliable/hold their calibration/etc.

Any comments or things that I'm not thinking about?

Rick

mr294
10/21/2004, 02:31 PM
I've got a pinpoint monitor with AC adapter that I will give you a VERY fair deal on. I used it for about a week, it just needs a new probe because I let the old one completely dry out.

Charlie Davidson
10/22/2004, 06:59 AM
I may have the probe, out in the shed. I will look if- I get the courage up to go thru all that stuff! BTW price is right (free)

SunDragon
10/23/2004, 02:09 PM
When I was in the market for one I liked the Reef Fanatic one too. Its got all the right features and a good price. I couldnt find much on it either, but what I did find was good. And, they have the new one that temp and ph!

Charlie Davidson
11/01/2004, 06:51 PM
probes in shed are coralife, ORP. I just got a Milwaukee sms 122 for my cal. reactor-- let you know if its any good! BTW if I do not need my hand held any more--- Trade for ?

manderx
11/02/2004, 11:28 AM
i also have the milwaukee controller for my reactor, and have found that the effluent pH is stable enough i don't need to bother with using it as a controller. even though the specs say +/-.2, i've never had a problem with it being off. it's always dead on and has held it's calibration for several months now. i swap it back and forth between the tank and the effluent a few times a day. my only complaint with it is one of the calibration screws is on the back. i wish they were both on the front.

-m

rick s
11/02/2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all the offers guys. I ended up buying the Reef Fanatic pH and Temp Monitor. The display is nice and bright and it cal'd easily.

Now I can read my pH and temp at a glance before I go to work at 6am without turning any room lights on.

Thanks again for the offers.

Rick

Todd March
11/28/2004, 05:00 AM
I have terrible luck with Reef Fanatics new pH and temp monitor. I was very sceptical of the auto calibration feature, and the unit was pure trouble for me. It wouldn't hold calibration at all, and intially gave me tank readings of 7.2-8.8... The unit got so bad, it wouldn't even calibrate after a while (with new calibration fluids to boot).

My supplier even exchanged the probe, and still the problems persisted. It might have been an electrical interferance problem, as other users seem to have no problem with them. But I did not have fun with this unit one bit...

Thankfully my supplier gave me back my money, and I purchased a Pinpoint pH monitor, which I have used in the past. These units perform wonderfully (when operated on 9v batteries) and never give any problems, IME.

If you want some sage advice, go with Pinpoint for hassle free problems and don't look back...