PDA

View Full Version : night feeding -sps

Charlie Davidson
10/20/2004, 05:56 PM
Hey guys- just an observation from last night, ( don't know what time, son woke me up telling me tank was leaking)- while I trying to figure what the @#$@ was happening ( recently added new pump increase of 300gpm- water over flowing in main tank- best guess found snail blocking overflow ) I turned on a room light towards the back side of my tank( tank sits so I can see 3 sides).
Alot of my sps I had polip extendsion I had never seen before!!!!!!!!! This extendsion is not showing today. alot of micro bubbles due to low slump? maybe they open at night so fish don't bite? hell, don't know. but ----- Maybe I should feed some cyclopezee at night. --?

mr294
10/20/2004, 07:38 PM
Night time polyp extension is natural for that very reason, feeding while there is a lack of coral predators. Often in nature you will see little to no polyp extension during the day. A couple hours after the lights have gone out is definitely the perfect time to feed your SPS rotifers, zooplex, cyclopeeze etc.

mr294
10/20/2004, 07:39 PM
oh yeah almost forgot...hope you didn't soak the carpet too bad :D

Charlie Davidson
10/21/2004, 10:06 PM
I guess that makes too much sense, wish I had no fish in my main tank! Looking for mini fishing rod!!!!!!!!!only 5-10 gallons spilled but that makes a large puddle in carpet. been thru water on on carpet before so I have dehumidifier! trying night feeding tonight (in a few minutes) with some back lighting so I can observe feeding!!!
BTW anyone want the few astros I have left, and I plan to get rid of most of my hermits.