PDA

View Full Version : Through a looking glass

KathMet
11/11/2001, 11:31 AM
Tank now 12 days old and showing signs of increasing life. I was using a magnifying glass to look at something on the front glass, then began to notice all sorts of other 'life' on the rocks. No idea whether they are friend or foe. No fish yet, just red leg hermits and some turbo snails.

I've noticed two small star fish, grey in colour, and two small snails(not introduced by me) that go bat out of hell over the rocks. They are eating some new green algae that has appeared but dont know what else they might eat if/when they get bigger.

On creature though frightened me to death. (looking through the mag.glass) it was striped, about an inch long, thin, glided over the rocks very fast, and seemed to catch, then eat a small shrimp like thing (don't know what the shrimp thing was either)

Another creature lives in a hole the size of a pin head, and out of which come two whip like very long things that seem to sweep across the rock. They seem to grow in size to over an inch long.

Are there pictures anywhere on the web that show these tiny creatures. As a novice I would be keen to identify what I am now seeing in my tank. I do not know whether these things are friend or foe.

Was thinking of buying a mandarin fish, but don't know whether that would be a good idea. Any help much appreciated.

Skipper
11/11/2001, 12:41 PM
Here (http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/index.html) is a link to alot of the hitchikers. We have a contest (http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/announcement.php?s=&forumid=102) going on right now with hitchikers, and if you could get some pictures, you might be interested in participating. I would guess that the snail is a Stomatella....cool lil fellas. The small shrimp-like thing was probably a copepod....another cool lil fella.

DgenR8
11/11/2001, 05:37 PM
KathMet,
Congrats on the new system! The critter with those "sweepers" you mention might be some sort of shrimp, but from a hole as small as you describe probably not. Maybe a real tiny one.
What I really wanted to hit on here is the manderin you are thinking about.
These fish are tough to feed, they seem to eat pods almost exclusively and are almost guaranteed to die if not kept in a well established system. Start with some more hearty varieties clowns are pretty good for a first fish, just don't rush it. Make sure your system cycles completely before adding ANY livestock.

KathMet
11/12/2001, 02:02 PM
I had already decided that a Mandarin was really a no no, I just love them, but of course understand that they are difficult to feed. I most probably will get a clown first, but can't wait to buy some coral, but no idea what to start with. I am going to be patient. I'm still slowing upping the calcium level.

My PH is still just slightly lower than ideal, will that improve with higher calcium level ?

Skipper
11/12/2001, 07:11 PM
My PH is still just slightly lower than ideal, will that improve with higher calcium level ?
No, your ph does not rise or lower based on the calcium level.