PDA

View Full Version : Fry in the refugium

cabin
10/19/2004, 08:19 PM
This weekend I noticed 3 small fishes, about 5-6 mm, in the refugium. I can only surmise my akindynos clownfish laid eggs where I didn't see them and some survivors made it through the overflow. These little guys are definitely swimming, not crawling, so I think they are fish. One has started to turn a pinkish color. I'm thinking the refugium is a decent place to just let them grow and see what develops. There is plenty of live food there, no predators--unless they rise to the top and go over the barrier into the sump, they should be safe. Pretty neat. Let me know if you think I should be doing something more proactive.

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/20/2004, 05:00 AM
no leave them alone !! I have plenty of spawned fish in all of my giums even the fresh water ones !

Ewan
10/21/2004, 07:37 PM
Wynne, I wish I had some rotifers to offer you for the fry. I closed down the rotifer sweatshop a couple of months ago in favor of cyclopeeze. It would have been awesome fry food though.

-r.

cabin
10/21/2004, 07:46 PM
That's interesting, do you consider the cyclopeeze an adequate substitute? Are you using the dried or the frozen? Denise gave me a sample of each, and I rather preferred the frozen, but of course it is difficult to find locally.

Ewan
10/21/2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by cabin
That's interesting, do you consider the cyclopeeze an adequate substitute?

For my purpose, yes. The SPS corals shouldn't accept it as food due to it's size, but they do! The gentleman at MACNA representing CE gave quite a demonstration and graciously donated some frozen CE to me. This was based on the fact that there really isn't any place to find CE locally. He looked up his distributors in Maine, and agreed that I was between a rock and a hard place.

Are you using the dried or the frozen? Denise gave me a sample of each, and I rather preferred the frozen...

Apparently there is a world of difference between the two. Again, John from CE mentioned that the frozen was much better for feeding, but obviously harder to distribute. I only have experience with the frozen CE, and a dried competitive product. The frozen CE has an excellent reputation of being readily accepted by SPS corals. I am very happy to report the same findings in my own system.

In terms of fry growth and feeding, there is a specific stage of larval feeding that the rotifers are a key player. Size matters here. You may also recalle my [borrowed] grocery bag analogy for rotifers; they are as nutritious as what you fill them with. You have the opportunity to fortify the rotifers with all sorts of good things for growing fry.

However, I wouldn't overlook CE as an EXCELLENT foor source for the fry, if they can eat it.

-R.

Hedonist
10/21/2004, 08:14 PM
Wynne

How Cool!!!

I can only wonder if there will be enough food in the fuge for the babies, I believe there is a breeders forum on this site that you might be able to post that issue to... Advanced Aquarists has a site with lots of info too.... www.advancedaquarist.com , it might be worth checking out

At any rate I wish you great success, I would not be able to keep myself from peering into the fuge every 5 minutes!

BTW, the frozen CE can be purchased in Portland....

best of life to the babies!
Denise

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/22/2004, 04:15 AM
anytime any one wants frozen ce i can get it with my fish orders just let me know !

Hedonist
10/22/2004, 01:47 PM
Something else I find even more amazing is that you have sponges in your overflo box.. at least you did when we visited you tank...

Denise

smtarr
10/23/2004, 11:07 AM
John, I'd like some frozen CE. Could you bring it to the Nov meeting? If not, just let me know. I really liked the sample Denise gave me. Sue

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/23/2004, 11:17 PM
ok sue nice talking to you on the phone today !!

smtarr
10/24/2004, 05:45 PM
John, nice talking to you too. See you at the meeting. Sue