PDA

View Full Version : What's up with calcium gluconate?

turbodiesel01
10/18/2004, 07:48 PM
Anthony,

I have just picked up and been reading your inverts book. You mentioned calcium gluconate as a potential accelerator for macros - esp corraline. Could you provide some more info this including potential dosages.

Realy great book - by the way.

Thanks

Anthony Calfo
10/19/2004, 01:41 PM
thank you for the kind words my friend :)

Seachem is a fine/reputable company making this so-called "sugar-based" (it really is not sugar) calcium gluconate.

For what its worth, we commonly see most tanks enjoying a flourishing spurt of coralline algae with just a few months of use at the mfg's recommended dose. It really does seem to tweak purple/pink corallines quickly. Yet, I do not feel that it is very effective as a principal (calcium) supplement for coral growth ( I like calcium hydroxide and/or calcium reactors for this).

Still/again... "Reef Calcium" from Seachem is an outstanding quick fix for jump starting corallines. A good 4-6 months use may be all that's needed if you are elsewise very good about maintaining steady calcium and alkalinity (plus Mg, regular water changes, etc).

best regards :)

Anthony

NicoleC
10/19/2004, 04:53 PM
Would you have a preferred calcium source besides kalk? My space is maxxed out completely and there's just no room for a calcium reactor (overkill in an LPS/softie tank anyway) or a drip. My top-off water gets pumped in too fast for kalk, I think. I've been using SeaChem Reef Advantage Calcium -- the dry stuff -- (plus Reef Builder for Alk), but I'm not devoted to it.

Edit: Hmmm. It just looks like calcium chloride to me, but their web site doesn't specify.

turbodiesel01
10/19/2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was not thinking of using this a a calcium source (B - ionic for that) but just as an accelerator for corraline. I'm a vet and have access to literally gallons of medical grade alcium gluconate 23%. Could you reccomend a dasage? mg/gal???
Thanks again

Anthony Calfo
10/19/2004, 08:34 PM
I really don't know the Seachem dosage my friend... and have never hunted for it. I'm rather careful about using lab reagents. Many are indeed better than hobby grade supplements... some are far less pure. I'm content to simply buy hobby tested products. And Seachem is one of the very best companies for R&D before releasing products. Do let us know what you find, if so. Else... its mere dollars to use a dose of it for just a few months to jump start the tank/corallines.

Nicole C... do be very careful using Calcium Chloride to exclusion... it has its share of baggage (keyword search). Again... I strongly recommend using calcium hydroxide and I do not make a kalk solution for it as that uses evap as the rate limiting factor for dosing it rather than the tanks actual daily demand for calcium (for that I use CaOH as a slurry... see archives for threads on Kalk slurry here and on wetwebmedia.com)

kindly,

Anthony

NicoleC
10/21/2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks, the slurry looks like a fine idea. Of course, I gather I need a pH pen first before experimenting. My pH has always benn very stable, so tinkering with kalk has been a little scary.

Anthony Calfo
10/21/2004, 02:01 PM
exactly correct... the best/only way to use a slurry is in concert with an accurate digital pH meter. Much like using ozone with a meter/controller or not at all.

kindly,

Anthony :)