PDA

View Full Version : Feeding T. maxima

cone9
11/10/2001, 05:06 PM
...and other small clams. Will they eat Golden Pearls? I know DTs is good but am interested in what else is considered good to feed them.

MiNdErAsR
11/11/2001, 12:17 AM
I don't know about golden pearls for clams, but DT's phytoplankton or Cryo-Preserved phytoplankton is perfect. In any case don't spot feed, simply add it to the tank in a high flow area (for dispersal).

IMO

cone9
11/11/2001, 08:35 AM
I'm interested in getting a small maxima and want to certain my tank meet it's needs. I have 250w 65k MH - six inches above the water. I'd place it on a shell (to attach to) on the sand that would be 20" deep.

I have six Turkeywing clams and another mussel which doesn't open but just has two siphons it opens/closes. These are all surviving after 5 1/2 months. Obviously, these are strictly filter feeders. Can I assume my tank is providing adequate nutrients for small Tridacnid clams as well such that with some supplemental feeding of phytoplankton I should be fine? Are the phytoplankton products such as Kent's Phytoplex of value?

Physh1
11/20/2001, 12:28 AM
I really do find DT's most usefull compared to the others. You could assume the tank is providing enough but a little DT's won't hurt. Remember also the more inverts/corals that go in the less stuff is availible for them all so supplementing will be increasingly helpfull...

Cameron