PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for Oceanic 150 reef

Doug Stone
11/09/2001, 11:05 PM
I am contemplating purchase of an Oceanic 150 with stand. I am wanting to know what lighting to consider. I currently have a 55 gallon reef with a few corals like Toadstools, bubble, and a few hard corals. All doing pretty good. I want to get adequate lighting while considering energy, heat, and costs. I am considering VHO or PC instead of MH for the above reasons. What lighting setup would you recommend?

golfish
11/10/2001, 09:34 AM
Doug,
Your going to get MH's someday so you might as well do it now. 150 gal tank is kind big to run just PC's or VHO's. I guess you could run 4 VHO's and keep the corla you have now.....Trust me, your going to get MH's :bum:

ShipMate
11/10/2001, 10:18 AM
I did a LOT of reading/ research for months on this for my new 180 gal...and MH only or MH/vho combo is the way to go, depending on the wattage, and kelvin color temp you want. An absolute must for clams and certain SPS species. Some have success with VHO only but wattage use/colors not wirth it IMHO.

I got MH only in a combination of 20,000 K (blue) and Iwasaki 6500k (more yellows)

I believe this is where a good chunk of your money should go
Check Nathan's thread, very cool demo on color temp

http://www.reefcentral.com/library/lighting/mh_compare.htm

Good luck!