PDA

View Full Version : what do you feed your LPS?

Gary Majchrzak
10/15/2004, 11:34 PM
Most LPS corals can consume fairly large size prey. I once saw my bubble coral eat a medium sized bristleworm. Do you target feed your LPS? What do you feed your LPS?

TippyToeX
10/16/2004, 12:00 AM
Every LPS I have that takes meaty food I feed every other day. :)

I mix up in advance: Krill, mysis, cyclop-eeze, scallop, cocktail shrimp, squid, Formula 1 & 2. All finely chopped up. If I'm lazy and don't have the mix made up I use any of the above I have on hand.

Cut the pump about 2 hours after lights out (when the feeding tentacles are out) and use a turkey baster to rest the food near to or on the mouth. I have the pumps off for about 10 minutes or so. Until all is eaten up. :D

thedude
10/16/2004, 12:01 AM
Depends on the critter. My frogspawn and hammers will only eat cyclopseeze, while my red brain and doughnut coral will eat pieces of silverside and mysis of course. I used to give them the entire silverside fish, but Eric gave me a good tip about slow digestion, and rotting meat. Now they get smaller pieces.

Caulestra doesn't seem to want anything, but grows nicely. Moon coral eats cyclopseeze and an occasional piece of mysis. Sun coral likes cyclopseeze and mysis.

I think that's it

kfisc
10/16/2004, 12:01 AM
finely minced octopus, frozen cyclopeeze, mysis, target fed w/turkey baster for torch corals, same plus larger bits of silverside for a pearl bubble and a brain coral i swear would take my thumb if i let them....the bubble is especially voracious-

staticfishmonger
10/16/2004, 11:10 AM
I have seen my frogspawn pull in some mysiss that was intended for the fish. thats about it, i have never just fed my lps coral.

brahm
10/16/2004, 11:50 AM
Mysis, Cyclopse, brine, Krill, Formula 1 .. Mostly Mysis and Cyclopse though.

staticfishmonger
10/16/2004, 11:57 AM
whats up brahm!
this is chris, a.k.a ReeFWaVe

brahm
10/16/2004, 12:26 PM
Hey man how's it going!

traveller7
10/16/2004, 12:46 PM
Target feeding at least once a week:

Plate, bubble, and scoly get cut silversides plus mysis they catch.
Ancor and frogspawn get mysis and cyclopeze.

Jaffa
10/18/2004, 03:29 PM
I feed my frogspawn lancefish every now and then.

Narkon
10/20/2004, 10:24 AM
I currently don't target feed, except the time I failed missibly and over feed the tank, got a huge algae bloom, that was the first night I had my maze brain.

Then 3 nights ago I wanted to see my maze actually eat, so I feed just a pinch of Formula 1 to it, then feed a big chunk to 2 heads of my candy cane. Really liked watcthing them eat, but I also knew I was doing a good water change the next day, so no real algae bloom there.

But other than that no target feeding, I do stir the sand or refuge every time I think about it before I go to bed.

Nathan

kayl
10/21/2004, 11:49 AM
cyclopeeze...I just put a bunch in front of a powerhead...everything goes crazy. My disc corals, my caulstrea, my blastos, and of course my fish and inverts too!

grim
10/24/2004, 08:10 AM
Wow, I feed my frogspawn chunks of ground up fish and shrimp.. It can take some pretty big chunks if you want to compare size to cyclopeeze. Actually, I've never seen it take cyclop at all, but I admit, cyclop is too small to even notice.. Mysis, shrimp, chunks of anything meaty really.

jb

jamestown
10/26/2004, 10:54 AM
I have not previously fed any of my corals, but now realize that this is a necessity. all the suggestions above look good, but when is the optimum feeding time or rather should it be done when the tank is lighted or after the lights have been turned off? If off, how long should one wait?
Thanks

Samper
10/27/2004, 08:39 PM
My torch and candy canes eat Bacon Cheeseburgers with a side of cyclop eaze, small pieces of silversides and a buffet of home made food from the seafood section of the grocery store.
I only feed my lps once a week. Turky baster doesn't work for me on the candy or maze brain so I have to reach in and give the food to em.

JsL30629
10/29/2004, 10:58 AM
I've had my hammer for 2 weeks and have never seen tenticles come out. I am worried. The guy opens up real nice when my 130w PCs come one, but never seen a tenticle. I feed live photoplankton to my tank...am I just wasting money? I thought all corals eat that stuff.

Sometimes, a piece of mysis will land on a green "hammer" and half a hour later, it just gets blown off. Do I put a piece of mysis directly in the outh area?