PDA

View Full Version : Will I be overstocked?

Ogitrev
11/09/2001, 03:40 PM
I need some opinions please....

I currently have a 55 gal tank with 100lbs. LR, 40lbs LS.

Currently in the tank is...
1 True Perc
1 Royal Gramma
1 Kole Tang
1 Sandsifter Star
snails
hermits
Button Polyps,
some mushrooms

I want to add about 3 to 4 Green Chromis and a Yellow tang as my last fish. Would I be overstocked with this?

Oh yeah... I also have a 10 gal sum (holds about 5 gals of water while running) and a 5 gal refugium.

I also run a DIY Snailmans skimmer that pulls quite a bit a gunk out.

Thanks!
- Tom

ron4675
11/09/2001, 03:56 PM
IMO you are probably at your max now.
The Kole Tang and Yellow tang would probably not get along. Not to mention that most on this board feel that all tangs should be kept in 100g of water or more. A 50g would probably be too small anyway. The chromis may work just watch your water chemistry, feed lightly, and do water changes regularly. Watch out if your tank is uncovered they can and will jump out of the tank!

just_let_me_reef
11/09/2001, 03:57 PM
i think that you would have been okay, until you mentioned another tang. i have scopus and a yellow in a 90 gallon and they just seem 2 tollerate each other. other than that . i think that you will be right at the limit, or barely stretching it.

naesco
11/09/2001, 08:31 PM
I agree with the prior posts. Your tank is too small for tangs.
The addition of the chromis should be alright.
Even though they are cheap, insist that you see them eating and chose only active healthy ones.
It is the sick ones that are easy for the LFS guys to catch so be careful.

Jerry W
11/10/2001, 12:40 AM
Just a comment on your rock/sand ratio. You said you have 100 lbs of rock and only 40 of sand? I have a 55 and with a little over 100 lbs. of sand which gives me a nice 4 inch dsb, and maybe 45-50 lbs of rock. with all that rock in there, I'm guessing it doesn't leave much swimming room. I'd have to agree with the others with regards to the tangs. stick with smaller fish if you add anything else. JWT