PDA

View Full Version : Compatablity

Ryan22
11/09/2001, 02:15 PM
hi all,

After a mishap with a broken heater in my hospital tank resulted in the loss of my Dog faced puffer, I'm thinking that I might want to take my tank in a different direction.

I now have 2 blue damsels, a maroon clown and a coral beauty in my 72 gal bowfront. I am in the process of building a new stand and sump for the tank and after that I'll start to add some more fish. I currently have about 65lbs of live rock a turbofloater 1000 skimmer and a 3-5 inch sandbed sloped from 3 inches in the front of the tank to 5 inches in the back. I will be making the new sump out of a 29 gal tank and plan to use it as a sump/refugium with a 4-6 inch sand bed depending on how much southdown I have left in my closet. I can't find anymore right now.

So my real question is, with the two damsels and the maroon clown, I have some fairly aggresive fish in the tank already. What I would like to do is add some fish that stay about 3 inches or under that could hold their own against the damsels in particular, as the clown so far is very dosile. I am interested in some of the pseudocromis species, grammas, assessors and possibly a gobie, a jawfish or a pair of banggai cardinals. I have scott Michael's book, but it is a little vauge at times about compatablity between these species or multiples with in the same species/genius. What are your suggestions as possible tankmates for the fish I have? What works for you, or what has not worked for you. Feel free to add to the list, this is just research at this point, I won't be adding anything new for at least three weeks, probably longer.

TIA,
Ryan

fishteacher73
11/09/2001, 03:36 PM
The cardinals are out IMO...they are VERY docile and all the others would probably pick at them..
The pseudo's would be a good choice, but you just want one of them(they dont like ther pseudos)..I would go with a splendid dottyback (moderate size and nice color....ORA also has captive bred of these guys).
Goby might work, with as much rock as you have, but it would be a 50/50 chance I would say.
Grammas also would probably work, but for any of these you may need to pull those damsels....they just dont like to play with new fish....
Good luck'

Ryan22
11/14/2001, 03:06 PM