PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out...decisions decisions

Paul Stevenson
11/09/2001, 10:26 AM
Hello, I'll be setting up my first reef tank very soon. I am thinking of going with a large tank around 20-30 gallons. I have lots of money and don't want to skimp on anything. Can you good folks please advise me on what the best method is, and what the best equipment would be to purchase. Also do you think I should start with a smaller tank? Space is not an issue as i have lots of room for any sized tank. I would like to keep a mixture of all types of corals and fish and crabs and stuff. Thanks for your input.

DaveP
11/09/2001, 10:41 AM
This is just my opinion:
It is easier to maintain a larger tank for many of my own personal reasons. Although a 20-30 gal reef could be really cool a 58 gallon or 65 gal would be better for a beginner. I would get a reef ready tank and a sump. Skimmer and quality live rock are key components. Depending on what you want to keep lighting options are endless. If you want corals that don't require high intensity I would go with VHO b/c they look better IMO.
Here is my setup for an sps tank:
58 gallon
dual 250 Metal halide with 2 VHO actinics
beckett skimmer
DIY sump
Precision Calicium reactor
4" sand bed

My problems:
My live rock kinda sucks but is getting better and I have micro bubbles from my sump returning into my tank.

DaveP
11/09/2001, 10:43 AM
oh yeah...
with a deep sand bed (dsb) you will need to export nutrients so you need a refugium of some sort. You can grow macro algae in your tank of in your sump.

ReefMole
11/09/2001, 12:18 PM
First off, I'm a newbie myself so take any of my advice for what it's worth (not much). I HAVE been researching reef aquariums for a few months now, though...it's also easy for me to relate to where you are in the decision process because I was there also a few short weeks ago.

I would recommend starting out by buying a good book or two. I bought "Natural Reef Aquariums" by Tullock and found it very useful. I've heard (but don't own it) that "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" and "the Marine Aquarium Problem Solver" are also good books.

I would recommend reading all the forums religiously...they are a great source of knowledge. I would also try to find an LFS that you somewhat trust for livestock and general advice.

After you've done that you need to start making decisions. One thing you'll realize is that EVERYONE has a different opinion on almost EVERYTHING! There's no one person that has the 'right' setup or answers...you just have to go with your gut instinct.
In my opinion (as with most things) simple is better/easier/cheaper.

In picking a tank you need to decide on glass or acrylic and a size.
I would go with a 55 if I was you...I would have picked a 55gal but only had room for a 40. That's not to say you can't be successful with a 7gal (www.nano-reef.com)...the concensus is that bigger is better/easier though. As for acrylic...it's clearer and less prone to breaking or shattering but is expensive and scratches easily; you also need a solid stand. Glass is cheaper but doesn't scratch as easily.

I'd buy the best skimmer you can afford...pretty much everyone agrees that a good skimmer is a necessity. You need to decide whether you're going for a hang-on type or if you'll be using a sump. Personally, (although it might not be the best method) I didn't want to screw with the expense and plumbing (or possible extra leak points) of a sump so I went with the simplicity and lower cost of a hang-on skimmer. Sumps have advantages though, you can hide your heater there, have bioballs, etc.

Lights are something else you'll have to decide on. I went with PC's because they are (relatively) cheap compared to MH's and are bright enough for the animals that I want to keep. If you build your own with a kit from AHsupply for example, you can save alot of money. Another reason I chose PC's over MH's is the replacement bulbs are much less expensive, they don't generate enough heat to affect my tank, and they help keep my electricity bill down. I think MH's look nicer though...if you don't mind dealing with heat and $$.

Good luck on the tank (and decisions)

BNesti
11/09/2001, 01:38 PM
When I visited the White House last year, I think I saw the perfect spot for a 5000G tank.:D

Paul Stevenson
11/09/2001, 02:26 PM
5000 gallons would be nice, but I don't want to have to move that thing 7 years from now. Well I could cetainly use some advise from more people. There are so many variables. I've got some books and have looked them over. but would like more input. Upon further reflection, I think I might go with something a little bigger like a 180 or 220. Anyone got some good suggestions on equipment for that type of setup. I'd go reef ready with a sump for it.

borcutt
11/09/2001, 03:19 PM
Make sure you get a good skimmer and return pump. Check out www.premiumaquatics.com they have good prices and excellent customer service. I have a Precision Marine skimmer. It works very well and I ahve also met the owner. He stands behind his product at any cost to help the consumer.

cacplkings
11/09/2001, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the hobby. First of all patience is a definate virtue in your new endevour.
My personal experience started with a 55g tank which I found myself doing a lot of trial and error. This last summer I moved the contents to my 29g and now I am much happier as I feel I have gotten the equipment/coral/fish balance down right. Listed below is my setup with what I paid for the items.

My specs:
29g acrylic tank - New $109 - Stand and canopy pine - $200
(1) CSL 175w MH 10k bulb $150 ballast $65 bulb new
(2) 55w CSL TA bulbs $75 ballast $55 bulbs new
(1) CPR Bak-Pak skimmer w/MaxiJet1200 conversion $90 used
40 pds LR $120
50 pds LS/DS $35 (10pds LS)
(2) Maxijet 900's (circulation) $34
Coral/Clam/Fish - $250

Now that I am more versed in the hobby - LOL - My next setup will be a 90-125 gal tank and will probably run in the $3000-$4000 range for what I want specifically. Of course, this will come after we purchase a home next year.

Chris