PDA

View Full Version : Tank Specs

Don Davis
11/09/2001, 09:25 AM
Here are my current tank specs.

125 gal Nature View (72x18x20)- This tank has been setup for a little more then 2 years. Lighting is provided by 2 160 watt actinic03, 1 160 watt aquasun, 1 160 watt daylight running on 2 Icecap 660 ballasts. Filtration is 4-5 inch mixed sandbed, 200 pounds live rock, and a DAS EX1 skimmer and Americle wet/dry filter with all media removed. Circulation is provived by 4 power heads on a wave maker and a 750 gph return pump. It has 4 small fish and too many corals to count.

55 gal All Glass (48x12x20)- This tank has been up for 14 months and is mainly used to grow out frags from my 125. It is lit by 2 15 watt actinic03, and 2 15 watt 50/50s. It is filtered by 2-3 inch mixed sand bed and 35 pounds of live rock. Circulation is provided by 2 Eclipse hoods with all filter media removed. Livestock consists of 1 Mandarin Dragonette and various different frags.

I also have a 3 tray 100 gal coral farm that is in need of some work.

I believe in the hands-off approach. I never do water changes or add supplements. I drip kalk a couple of times a week in the 125. I feed ALOT every 3 days or whenever I remember. I clean my glass about every 3 weeks or when I know company is coming over. Most people wouldn't recommend running a tank this way, but it works well for me.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions about my tanks.

Don

Finman
11/09/2001, 12:37 PM
I have a 75 gal reef that is about 18 months old. I have 4 vho's driven by IceCap with URI bulbs. I put a Geo dual reactor on about six months ago. I also have a neptune pH meter. I have a Tunze skimmer that sits in a custom made 20 gal acylic sump where I also keep the heater, and temp, pH probes. I also have three powerheads in the tank on a wave maker. The sump also has two powerheads in it, one to feed the reactor and the other to keep a vacum on my CPR overflow box.

I have lots of critters and fish (14), plus lots of caulerpa. I have 100lbs of figi, 10 of Florida aquacultured rock and 75 pounds of Florida live sand. I have only soft corals. I started out with 48 astrea snails, 24 blue leg crabs, and 5 scarlet crabs. I still have a lot of these guys left plus hundreds of baby snails.

I do a 5 gal water change every one-two weeks. I have a 60gpd spectrapure ro/di water system. It is plumped from my laundry room to the garage where there are two 44gal industrial Rubbermaid barrels. One is for salt and the other is for ro/di water. Both have Rio powerheads for circulation. The salt barrel also has an ebo 250 watt heater.

I bough these at Lowes and installed 1" bulkheads in the bottom of each. At the top of each there is a 1/4" bulkhead. This allows me to put the ro/di water line through a hole in the lid of each barrel. When the barrel is full and I have forgotten to check on it, then the water just goes out the 1/4" bulkhead through the plastic tubing attached, where I have run it into the floor drain in my heater closet, instead of flooding the garage floor.

The barrels sit side by side on a cinder block platform next to the wall that has the aquarium on the other side in the living room. They are elevated high enough that I am able to use gravity to have either barrel flow thru the wall to the back of the aquarium. Then I can fill either salt water or fill my 5 gal drip make up water bucket.

This is done by having a inline T at the front on the barrels. Then I use ball values inline to open up either barrell to flow through the hose that goes through the wall to the back of the tank. At the end of the hose that goes to the tank it also has a ball value so that I can turn it off and on from the back of the tank.

It may sound complicated but it really isn't. The reason I set it up this way is so I would do my water changes without a lot of hassle and not be hauling water across my living room floor.

The aquarium sits in the corner of the living room so that I have complete access to the back of the tank. In fact I have a bench that I sit on behind the tank to do maintence. The bench has a piano style seat so that I can keep a lot of supplies and equipment under the seat.

http://pages.prodigy.net/fingrp/Full%20shot%20of%20reef.JPG

Mickster
11/09/2001, 03:45 PM
Hello all!

Well, I guess the first step is too admit that I am an addict too! I went from a 55gal to a 75 gal now I am at a 100 gal tank.

My specs are as follows:

Tank: 100 gallon NatureView, 20 gal long sump

Filtration: Turbofloater 1000 skimmer ran with a rio, 100 lb sand, 100lb live rock

Lighting: 8X55 hamilton PCs, 3 48in VHO actinics ran by Icecaps 660.

Livestock: 2 bangai cardinals, squamosa clam, gold maxima, pair of mated marroon clowns, bicolor goby, lawnmower blenny, dwarf lionfish, yellow watchman goby, mandarin, pygmy angel, sandsifting starfish, 2 tigertail cukes, snails, hermits, 2 cleaner shrimps, 2 feather dusters, cluster duster

Corals: various mushrooms, green horn, yellow figi leather, toadstool leather, devils hand leater, finger leather, gr frogspawn, yellow tipped torch, galaxea, red and green brain, gr hammer, yellowish zooanthids, gr buttons, white meat coral, candycane, colt, tongue

I have a LifeReef dual overflow to bring the water down to the sump. A Little Giant 3mdqsx returns the water to the tank. I have 2 additional powerheads in the tank for circulation.

I too do not do water changes. I only add top off water. The last time I did a water change was 4 months ago. I do soak my frozen brine shrimp in Selcon. I dose Calcium A & B made by Two Little Fishes.

So, anyone in here with sps in their tank? I am interested in getting some sps frags.

Mickey

Lilgrasshopper
11/21/2001, 01:43 AM
Hey Mickey, sorry to pop your bubble but your tank is not Nature's View..it's Ocean View...made in Missouri...or was it Mississippii...well where ever it was made...that's not important as long as it holds water.