PDA

View Full Version : Aiptaisia

Hedonist
10/14/2004, 07:49 PM
Aiptasia

Tanya.. you said you ahd a few coloniew of aiptasia and wanted to get rid of them... some people inject lime water or even the Alk part of a 2 part supplement like Bionic into the aiptasia to kill it

They will propogate if broken so be careful about that... I have read they are great filter feeders and if in an undertocked and underfed tank.. they may not do any harm.. if they get out of control. the can compete for food with your corals and may sting them as well....

I am sure you can find more if you do a search

ttyl
Denise

cutting
10/14/2004, 07:54 PM
thanks hedonist
they are not out of control like before when i had the big one

SaltyDogg
10/14/2004, 10:09 PM
There is a product called Joe's Juice that works good on that problem....Might have another bottle around here.......

Bryan

onecoder
10/15/2004, 08:01 AM
you can also use pepermint shrimp to get rid of them. search the forums for aiptasia and you will find alot.

SaltyDogg
10/15/2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by onecoder
you can also use pepermint shrimp to get rid of them. search the forums for aiptasia and you will find alot.

That can work as well on smaller aiptasias..... I can say that it worked for me in riding aiptasias on some corals that I received from vendors....just put them in a tank with peppermint shrimp and they soon disappeared..........:)

Bryan

Hedonist
10/15/2004, 06:56 PM
I think she tried adding shrimp and they suddenly disappeared ...If I understood correctly it was during acclimation and she found one with a shell split in half... that is why I suspected a mantis... Bryan had suggested it could have moulted whcih is possible but seems as thou she would have found a body ...????

BTW I am assuming the shrimp was given ample time to acclimate... I think inverts should acclimate slower and longer... preferably with a drip... someone correct me if I am wrong... It will save me time later :p
Denise

ogdlow
10/15/2004, 07:06 PM
dude.. i got 2 small pepermint shrimps and the ate several ..SEVERAL dozen Aiptasia in less than 1 week.. I could not believe my eyes...

smtarr
10/15/2004, 07:42 PM
I too have had good luck with my peppermints. I acquired a nice green star polyp rock and when I got it in my tank I noticed a small aiptasia. I bought the peppermints for that very eventuality as I have seen some dealers tanks with quite a few small aips. In just a matter of days, no more aiptasia.:-)) I make it a general rule NEVER to use chemicals of any kind in my main display tank. I am so new to this I think it's safer if I can avoid it. Sue

SaltyDogg
10/15/2004, 10:46 PM
If you are curious like I am check out this link and make up your own mine........

Joe's Juice (http://www.joesjuice.com/)

Not saying you have to use this product, but its always good to know whats out there just in case you do have a need........:)

Bryan

SOMEthinsFISHY
10/17/2004, 05:25 AM
bryan ATE HALF MY PUMPKIN PIE !!