PDA

View Full Version : Give me your list of area stores

dgasmd
10/12/2004, 07:58 PM
I am going to start contacting stores in the area this week to try to get a consistant level of sponsorship or discount to club memebers. However, since I am new to the area and there are members from a wide catchment area, I think it is best to have you give me a list of stores YOU would frequent and would want then to provide a discount. Please provide me with a complete name to the store and at least a phone number. The area in which it is at would also be nice as I probably would have not only never heard of the store, but I may not even recognize where it is at.

Also, I know from experience that most stores will be reluctant to give a discount of hardware as they rarely make much on it to justify it. So, tell me which do you feel is more important to you as far as the discount goes: hardware vs livestock.

Thanks,
El Prezidento :lol: :lol:
Sorry, but I had to use the tittle at least once:wave: :thumbsup:

tooshay
10/19/2004, 08:36 PM
El Prezidento Alberto, Here are some LFS in the Jupiter area:
Poseidens Reef off of Indiantown road- 745-1265
Coralgator on US1 in Tequesta- 7474340
Aquatic Life on US1 in Stuart- 772-287-7177
Splash Landing on Indiantown Road- 744-7387
These are the ones that I go to in the north area. I am sure someone who lives farther south can fill you in on stores in that area.

dgasmd
10/20/2004, 04:44 AM
Thanks tooshay. I plan to start contacting most stores in the area early next week.

gwsillinois
10/23/2004, 04:41 PM
look guys dont forget the best in florida

OCEANS BELOW 842-2221

every place you listed is crap, you should be ashamed of yourself for buying from coral gator and splash landing

tooshay
10/23/2004, 07:18 PM
gwsilly, where in my post did I say where I buy my coral?? Alberto wanted a list of LFS so he can try to get discounts for club members. I know Alberto knows about Oceans Below, which is why I didn't bother to include it in my post.

tperk9784
10/23/2004, 08:56 PM
Gswilly,

I dont know who you are but you should really check that kind of attitude at the door. The attitude of your post was completely uncalled for and does not belong in this forum.

Phan
10/24/2004, 12:47 AM
i know i havent been to a meeting yet.....but i tend to agree with gswilly. if we are going to compile a list...for whatever purpose....i think we should exclude the crap stores(or note that they are sub par).

im working on a list...the good/bad/ugly....just from my own experience. its hard.....to remember, and compile name/phone/address.....and ive mostly been to stores in the west palm beach and ft. laurdale area. but i have been to "coral gator" and i didnt find that store in good spirits.

maybe we could seperate the list: stores that specialize in salt water aquaria.....................and "pet stores" that sell fish and corals.

just a thought

steve

tperk9784
10/24/2004, 01:18 AM
Phan,

Regardless of intent of the list his respose was not appropriate. To belittle somthing someone has done for no justified reason is wrong. In my opinion he had no reason to tell her she should be ashamed of anything thats not his place and frankly he has no right.

Yes some of those stores may not be up to most peoples standards but that was not the intent of the list.

Tooshay went out of her way to list stores in the area where she lives as was requested. The request was not for good stores or for bad stores for that matter but Just for stores in general that people might visit.

I am not trying to get into some flame war here I just think people should be more considerate of other people who post here.

Tooshay is a great person who will bend over backwards to help a fellow reefer out. I just don't think my friend deserved to be talked to that way.

Phan
10/24/2004, 01:54 AM
tperk9784....understood.

steve

tooshay
10/24/2004, 05:57 AM
Thanks Tim :D
I do want to add a note that I HAVE bought quite a few corals and a pair of cardinals from the "Crap" store Splash Landing, and they are alive and thriving more than 2 years later. One person's trash is another man's treasure I suppose!

gwsillinois
10/24/2004, 09:33 AM
thanks phan, stop whining tperc... you dont know who i am but i do know a crap store when i see one..walk in and look at the livestock, the conditions of the tanks and animals held in them..why would you send them there?? there should be a list of BAD stores...

why would anyone offer you a discount when you are supporting their rival stores??

one quality store should be picked, frequented and supported for any discounts.

alberto knows which store that should be, yes the same one that gave him an awesome deal on a 750 gallon tank!!! do you want to know what he paid for it??
he was given an awesome price to ensure the further patronage of oceans below..thats how you get great deals and discounts!!! by sticking with one store for the long haul....

tooshay
10/24/2004, 09:50 AM
gwsilly, Are you saying that you have never ever bought anything from any other store except Oceans Below? I am very frequently in there, and I agree it is an awesome store. Wouldn't it be nice to get a discount at many different stores in the area, instead of just one? I have been in the "Crap" stores and seen corals that I have never seen in the "Good" stores. I am glad I didn't miss out on the corals I got from these aweful stores... ha ha ha!

tperk9784
10/24/2004, 10:29 AM
Gswilly,

For one thing I am not whining.

I am merely commenting on how you treated another member of PBMAS in a reply that was not phrased well and persally attacked her.

Simply posting that you personally would not go to any other store other than OB would have sufficed and gotten your point accross.

"every place you listed is crap, you should be ashamed of yourself for buying from coral gator and splash landing"

Was not adding to the discussion in any benificial way at all.

gwsillinois
10/24/2004, 05:46 PM
ok, then its my opinion only, do we really need to be that pc?? it makes me puke

ctaegar
10/24/2004, 09:17 PM
GWSilly - Sorry dude, but I agree with Tooshay and TPerk. You were out of line. I absolutely agree that Oceans Below is the best, I buy probably 90% of my stuff there. I love the staff and have found them to be extremely friendly and helpful.
However, to call any other store "crap" is very small minded. Bottom line is that your words don't define Tooshay, they define you.
I happen to know that the folks who own Coral Gator are really cool people who have been devastated by a plethora of "bad luck" lately, and are doing the best they can to get their store back on track. They are doing the best they can with what they've got.
As far as the other stores, more power to them. I'm sure we all share the same "cringe" when we go into a store and see some poor fish dead in one of the tanks. I try not to judge, just keep a wary eye out and don't buy anything until after a few "better" visits.
Forget PC, you were just plain rude.
Enough of the banter, can we get back to the goal of the thread? I don't see anyone else responding, hope it's not because you're afraid of being "bashed" by a fellow reefer.
Anyone have suggestions in Central/South PB County?

gwsillinois
10/25/2004, 03:09 PM
i know the owners of coral gator also.... tthey should be ashamed of themselves for keeping animals in those conditions!

also i slipped yesterday and bought 2 acro colonys from reef life in dania... it's the first time in years.. he is not close to rob so i dont think he is in direct compatition.

by the way patrick was a great guy he gave me great prices..(he is also a reef central sponcer)

Bocaswim
10/25/2004, 08:59 PM
Ok my turn-

Barrier Reef in Boca Raton, very nice clean store. Good selection of livestock, mostly LPS and softies, occasionally they get in some nice SPS.

Agree that Reef Life in Dania has very nice corals. Patrick is a very knowledgable owner.

Chris(GWsilly)-please try to restrain yourself. We are a nice friendly group of reefers looking to share information and learn from each other. I respect your opinion just as I do Tooshay's information.

dgasmd
10/26/2004, 05:57 AM
Guys:

This is intended to be a list only and not a summary of store opinions. While I may agree or disagree with your store choices and your opinions about them, I think it is best if you keep the store reviews and opinions to yourself or handle it via email/PM. Having a single store sponsor regardless of how great of a store it may be IS NOT in the best interest of hobbiest and club members. I think in all fairness, we should have equal access to all and then you can make your dollars speak for yourself as to the quality of what you prefer. Think about it. 2 of you think store X sucks while you praise store B. Why in the world would store X want to support us when we are allowing bad publicity of their store even the other 98% think it is great?

Attacking others and their personal opinions doesn't add anything either. So, let's keep it civil please.

gwsillinois
10/26/2004, 01:51 PM
barrier reef is ok, but way too expencive imo...

3twenty5
10/26/2004, 01:53 PM
Barrier is ok @ minimum. I just moved North and am dissappointed of the selection. Reeflections was a decent store that used to be open. Now their is nothing aside from barrier in boca.

All the stores seem to be down south

Phan
10/27/2004, 02:15 AM
Tropical FantaSeas
6001 Georgia Ave.
West Palm Beach FL 33405-3944

http://www.tropicalfantaseas.net/index.html

3twenty5
10/27/2004, 08:24 AM
Anyone want to comment on Tropical FantaSeas

gwsillinois
10/27/2004, 07:45 PM
they suck, have terrible hrs.. lots of algae in sps tanks.....

dgasmd
10/27/2004, 08:34 PM
Guys:

I guess I don't know how best to ask you to keep your store opinions to yourself or handle it via PM/E-mail. If you don't like them, just don't shop there!! Every single one of you that freely post store opinions are opening yourself to liability. I ahve seen this before and it is not a pretty picture. There is nothing to gain with this and a lot of headaches to have.

For those of you that are official club members, I will remind you of the sections you agreed into the club's bylaws refering to personal store opinions and liability.

gwsillinois
10/28/2004, 04:25 PM
everyone has the right to his or her own opinion...they also should be informed when a store is not up to par, so they dont waste their time shopping there..if nowone shopps there they will do better or go out of business...

tooshay
10/28/2004, 05:05 PM
But as said before, your personal opinions should be communicated through e-mail and pm's, NOT in this thread!!!!!!! I don't know why this is such a hard concept to understand.

Vaigod
10/28/2004, 10:26 PM
gwsilly,

It's not that I disagree with your desire to inform other reefers about your personal experiences with any particular store(s), I just feel that your critique of each of the stores that you mentioned really didn't bring much to the table. If you are going to honestly try to do something constructive by sharing your observations with others in a forum such as this, then do so in a matter-of-fact and non-defamatory manner.

I myself have written what could be considered "negative" things about my personal dealings with different stores. However, those statements are always brought forth in rational and reasonable ways. I would NEVER, EVER, say something like: "Store X sucks, they have algae all over their SPS". Maybe try: "I was not pleased with the appearance of their SPS corals". It gets the point across. ESPECIALLY if your audience is made of people that trust your opinion and judgement.

I do however, boldly disagree with your verbal treatment of Tooshay... She is a VERY sweet person, and would always bend over backwards to help out anyone in need. So in that respect, I have to side with Tperk in that she is not someone to be bashed for filling a request of OUR president.

gwsillinois
10/29/2004, 05:53 AM
ok

dgasmd
10/29/2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by gwsilly
everyone has the right to his or her own opinion...they also should be informed when a store is not up to par, so they dont waste their time shopping there..if nowone shopps there they will do better or go out of business...

I agree 100% with you. Not less than 100%. However, keep it to emails and PM please.

ToUcHoFeLeGaNcE
10/31/2004, 06:13 PM
I will be visiting West Palm Beach As of Nov. 14th. Just wondering What LFS i should hit up while im there. Looking to see how different the saltwater/reef selection is compared to us up north in Philly/Jersey. Thanks GUy's.

John
Cre8ruckas@aol.com

tperk9784
10/31/2004, 08:26 PM
If your gonna be in Palm Beach, Oceans Below should be top of your list.

Tim

ToUcHoFeLeGaNcE
10/31/2004, 09:07 PM
do you have a web site addy for "oceans Below" or address of the store, im not fimilar with Palm beach, so i would need to map quest it from where im staying. Thanks.

tperk9784
10/31/2004, 09:35 PM
NP here it is.

OCEANS BELOW INC (561) 842-2221
110 U S HIGHWAY 1
NORTH PALM BEACH, FL 33408

Disclaimer, this is neither and advertisment nor an endorsment for the above store.

Tim

ToUcHoFeLeGaNcE
11/01/2004, 02:06 PM
cool thanks!

LawnTodd
11/01/2004, 09:54 PM
Hey touch. I always see you in the philly boards, its wierd to see you in this one. Do you ever go to PARC meetings? If so can I give you a few thing to bring back north to my philly buds.
Todd

P.S. I'm the person who won the ro unit at the Jersey group buy last year. Not sure if you were there or not.

ToUcHoFeLeGaNcE
11/01/2004, 10:00 PM
Ive never been to a PARC meeting. How would i bring the stuff back on the plane with me?

Carl_in_Florida
11/02/2004, 09:27 PM
One of my favorites is Coastal Aquariums
11911 US Highway One Ste 105
NPB, FL 33408

FWIW I like Tropical Fantaseas.

Carl

Bocaswim
11/03/2004, 07:24 AM
Hi All,

I need your help with a fishstore in North Palm Beach County. My brother just moved into a new house off PGA east. The house came with a 75 gallon cichlids tank, and I know very little about africans. Is there a good fish store near him that we can check out? He went to a Petsmart for the basics (food, nets etc) but I would like to advise him of a fish only store that he can go to for advice, water changes and misc stuff.

Thanks
Gayle

Phan
11/03/2004, 09:34 PM
Here are the stores i go to in the west palm beach area(in no order). these stores are as far north as PGA, and as far south as Glades.

Tropical FantaSeas
6001 Georgia Ave.
West Palm Beach FL 33405-3944
http://www.tropicalfantaseas.net/index.html
561-588-6200

Oceans Below
110 US 1
North Palm Beach, FL
561-842-2221

Coastal Aquariums
11911 US 1
North Palm Beach, FL