PDA

View Full Version : Water Clarity

Joluko
11/08/2001, 01:17 PM
I've just set up a tank (1 week old) and have some concerns about the water clarity. In short, it could be clearer. During heavy skims I dump a cup or two of "green" waste water. Is this just my tank "kicking in"?

Also, except for 3 small puffer fish, and bedding, the tank (180 gal) is empty.

Any suggestions on how to maintain the water clarity?

Thx a bunch,
Joluko

reefmike
11/08/2001, 02:25 PM
You stated that you just set up the tank a week ago?!?! Was the tank allowed to cycle? Cycling of the tank can take anywhere from 3 weeks to over 8 weeks depending of was is being used for the biological filter.

Could you give more information of your setup?

-- Mike

Joluko
11/08/2001, 02:38 PM
I have a 180 gallon with 29 gallon sump system. Sump contains a simple filter pad and bioballs. Running 1 Berlin XL Skimmer. Tank has some large gravel rock, standard ocean sand, and some crushed coral.

Live contents: 2 small snails & 3 small (one inch) puffer fish.

I won't be putting anything else into the tank for at least a month so the system can cycle. With so little in the tank and the setup being so new I just find the clarity level perplexing...

any thoughts?

Thx!
Joluko

Panda
11/08/2001, 03:09 PM
Just a warning. There are some folks on here that are going to roast you for putting livestock in a tank that's only a week old.

As for the water clarity issue, sit back, relax, and be patient. It'll clear in time. It took my tank nearly 2 weeks to clear after I added 250lbs of sand and this was with no bioload.

My advice to you, get some live rock or live sand from a mail order house or somewhere local if you can find good prices and get rid of the bioballs and clean the filter pad often.

HTH,
Dave

Joluko
11/08/2001, 03:29 PM
No bioballs? That's the first time i've heard that one. I threw a couple of fish in to help cycle faster. Heard it would help but I have been led wrong before :o

Thx for the info...thought it take a little while....

Joluko
_____________-

Panda
11/08/2001, 04:10 PM
There's always going to be the debate about whether or not to have bioballs in you system. Some people say they become a deitrus trap and become a nitrate factory. Other people will say they are good becasue of the increased surface area. I can't say either way because the only "media" I use in my tank is live rock and sand.

As for cycling, some say it's cruel for tanks to be cycled with fish. The enormous amount of NH3 and NO2 that gets created while cycling a tank can stress or even kill the hardiest of fish. I think it's easier with live rock because not only does it add the beneficial bacteria to your system, you also have the advantage of possibly getting hitchhikers that come in with the rock/sand. Personally, I had lots of pods and worms come in with mine.

If you can give those fish back to the LFS and get some live rock instead, do it. It'll expedite the process of cycling and get you on your way to having other critter in your tank.

BTW, what else can you tell us about your setup? Lights, pumps, kind of tank, etc.

Dave

Joluko
11/08/2001, 04:16 PM
Tank is a 180 gallon Oceanic with overflows in the back. A mag1200 pump for the sump system & jets and I'm not too sure what pump I recieved with the Berlin XL Skimmer. I do know it's a RedSea. No live rock yet so I have only two small flourescent lights. Getting VHO's in a couple of weeks.

piercho
11/09/2001, 12:00 AM
I got greenwater (phytoplankton) during cycling. But that was only after adding very bright (MH) lighting. Reducing nitrate levels and skimming help reduce clouding from suspended algae.

I wouldn't think that you have greenwater, or much of any other form of (visible) algae, after just 1 week. Perhaps the cloudiness is is a result of the substrate that you used?

Joluko
11/09/2001, 08:30 AM
You might be right Piercho. It could possibly be the substrate although I cleaned it fairly well before I put it in the tank. I cleaned out another cup and a half of "emerald" green water this morning. Whatever it is, I'm just glad the skimmer is taking it out. It does appear that the water clarity is improving with the removal of this stuff. I'll do a new post if anything weird pops up.

alf3482
11/09/2001, 10:34 AM
I think very one missed it. But the green water that you are dumping is coming from the skimmer cup, right? If this is the green water you are talking about, then yes it's normal. Wait till you add the rock, the stuff your pulling out now is nothing compared to what you will.
As for the puffers i dought they will make the cycle. I would take them back.
Bioballs is a debatable subject. My opinon is to get rid of them after you add your live rock and remove them slowly, not all at once. Right now your bioballs are doing what the live rock does. House you bactiria. So if you have no rock and no bioballs you have no where for it to grow and collect. If i'm wrong here some one correct me.HTH