PDA

View Full Version : camping trip?

manderx
10/12/2004, 10:30 AM
i'm going to do a weekend hike at mount rogers on the weekend of the 23rd. probably leave saturday morning, hike for ~7 hours to the top, then hike down ~3 hours on sunday. i'm pretty horribly out of shape (which is the main reason i'm going), so you won't have to worry about slowing me down. it's all pretty easy hiking, surprisingly easy considering it's the tallest mountain in virginia. if you've never been there, it's something you'd never expect to see in virginia. once you get up near the top, it's mostly open fields/spruce-fir with wild-ish ponies all over the place. you *really* feel like you're out west. and the best stargazing in all of virginia for sure.

here's the map:
http://www.foresters-inc.com/mander/MtRogers.jpg

we can do something else of course, but i usually start where the AT crosses 603 (the green line up in the top right corner) and follow the AT around and all the way up to near the top (near the center of the map). then backtrack the next morning a bit and take the pine mountain trail which cuts off the bulk of the AT loop to get back to 603.

i have a spare 1 person tent (if you don't want to share a 3-person dome with me and lacey), backpack and sleeping pad. all you really need is a sleeping bag.

CaptainDave
10/19/2004, 11:26 AM
wish i could go matt, but i have a conference for school i have to go to.