PDA

View Full Version : VHO Recommendation

clownman
11/07/2001, 01:19 PM
Hi,
In the process of converting my 37 Gallon to a Reef Central :bum:

Well, of course until I start with my 180 Gallon, that's the center of it all. Anyway, I need some recommendation on lighting.

I am not going to use Metal Halide as I already have a Custom Canopy with Ballast and so on ready for Fluorescent lighting. Metal Halide will be the choice for 180 Gallon (another discussion)

Currently, I have URI Super Actinic R 75W and another standard output 20 watt. But I am thinking of moving to

1 URI Super Actinic 75 (I did not see anything higher for 24" (that's the size I have to have)

1. URI Aqua Sun 75 watt

what do you think? Any other suggestion? Unfortunately, powerful it gets (per Watt) bigger the size it gets. As I said earlier, I have to be at 24"

(Also, combining Super Actinic and Aqua Sun wouldn't have any negative impact, will it? Or should I go both Aqua Sun instead?)

This is where I'm thinking of buying from Coralreef Express (http://www.coralreefexpress.com/fluorescent.htm)

Thanks for your help

Clownman

mtellin
11/07/2001, 01:34 PM
Definitely dont do 2 aqua suns on there, personally I like the look of even numbers of super actinic's and 50/50's, but I think your two best choices would be super actinic for sure and either a 50/50 or an aquasun.

clownman
11/07/2001, 02:10 PM
Just curious, is it because two aqua sun will heat up the aquarium? or too bright?

Also, I was hopping to find a separate light that may not require me to do anything with my retrofit kit, but just independent hook on type - blue in color - So I could have that going all night when the other lights are turned off (automatically)

I keep my light on for 10 hours.

mtellin
11/07/2001, 02:21 PM
Nah it shouldnt be any hotter than the bulb configs I listed but there would be no actinic supplementation to it whatsoever, and IME not only does it make it look a lot nicer (esp greens purples etc) but its beneficial to corals. As far as the other thing you mentioned it sounds like your talking about some type of moon lighting? I use 2 - 25watt blue party bulbs(incandescent) on my tank and like it, I think a lot of other people use them too, you could probably get by with just one over your 37 if it will fit in your canopy, otherwise I think people have used blue x-mas lights, blue led lights etc.

clownman
11/07/2001, 04:55 PM
If I can, I would really like to increase power (watt) ...can't find anything highier that is 24".. any suggestion?

Guy
11/07/2001, 05:26 PM
PC lights? They have a smaller foot print so you could fit more in.

clownman
11/08/2001, 12:34 AM
ok, so finally, I have two choices :cool:

Choice#1
First one: 24" U.R.I Supper Actinic 75 Watt VHO
Second: 24" U.R.I Aqua Sun 75 Watt VHO

Choice#2
First one: 24" U.R.I Supper Actinic 75 Watt VHO
Second: 24" 50/50 Fluorescent Lamp 75 Watt VHO

Its a 37 Gallon and have couple of stony Coral frag, as well as Softy and Anemone. Liverock also lacking good colorful algae growth.

As I mentioned that I only have the aboice choices at the moment, it will be very helpful to know which one is the best option.

I read about their differences and both look very similar.

Any thoughts?

shawnz28
11/08/2001, 07:29 PM
I personally prefer the look a aquasuns with actinics. I used to use the 50/50's with the actinics and it was too blue for my liking, but this is my opinion.

Shawn