PDA

View Full Version : Matted Pairs?

snafuforyou
11/06/2001, 08:01 PM
How does one know if clowns are a 'mated pair'?

I've seen the shimmering - I've seen the following around to all parts of the tank, sharing anemone. What defines a 'mated pair'

TIA

Snaf

snafuforyou
11/07/2001, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know??:eek1:

Timmit
11/07/2001, 07:27 PM
Well, I just read Joyce Wilkerson's "Clownfishes" which explains pairing, spawning, and raising larval clownfish. Great book. Well worth the money. Extremely interesting. Let me regurgitate a little of the info I picked up:

If the clowns are not mature yet, the fish are establishing which will be the dominant. The dominant fish will develop into a female and (depending on the species) could get twice as big as the male. The fish doing the trembling is showing submission to the dominant one. This can go on for months depending on how much the submissive one wants to challange the hierarchy.

If they are already sleeping in the anemone, it sounds like they are well on their way. The submissive will develop into a male and once they are large enough to spawn should start making babies.

What species of clownfish do you have? What anemone? How old and how large are your clowns?

tim

snafuforyou
11/07/2001, 07:57 PM
Timmit,
Thx for the reply.

I havent added a second clown yet but did have a pair of perc's in my 5 gal. i currently have a marroon. It sleeps in a BTA. The Bta has since split. I've been contemplating for awhile now on getting a second marroon.

TIA
Snaf

Timmit
11/08/2001, 04:02 PM
Snaf,

I love the look of the Maroons. Maroons are the most difficult clownfish to mate because they are extremely aggresive and can sometimes kill each other before agreeing on which will become the female.

A Maroon who is the only Maroon in the aquarium for a while will develop into a female. Female Maroons are usually twice the size of the males. The males are larger than unsexed juvinales. Because of this, Ms. Wilkerson suggests the best way to mate Maroons is to have a large female in the aquarium first (to stake out her territory). Then add the smallest Maroon you can find. The smaller the better. The small clown will be so terrified of the females larger size (a big momma, I guess you could say)that he will very quickly accept his secondary position and will then develop into a male quickly. Then the baby-making begins.......

Good luck.

tim

snafuforyou
11/08/2001, 09:53 PM
Tim,

Thx again for the reply-sounds like good advice. The marron I have currently has grown since I've had her which was the end of june. Recently I've been looking for a small one(as small as i can find) for a mate.

I was also wondering if a white banded marroon and a gold banded would mate?!

Thx again

Snaf

snafuforyou
11/12/2001, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know if a white banded and a gold banded maroon will pair up?

daghostryder
11/13/2001, 01:20 PM
yes the gold banded will pair up. I have a pair an trust me it was not easy. The first week was the worse and I had to keep a close eye to make sure she did not kill the sorry sap of a male :) (punk) She would nip, butt and just torment the little guy. at this time she was just a little bigger and i guess he thought he could take her. He suffered some cuts and bruises but nothing serious enough for me to take him out or seperate them. I try not to get involved in domestic squabbles :p Anyway after two weeks the beatings got less and less and he accepted his place in the circle of life. I think. To this day he still will nudge at her and she just yells at him and thunks him in the head. I recently added a BTA and they went at it for two days. Now she allows him to sleep in the BTA and allows some time in the mornings to get in the BTA but when she wants him out......OUT he goes even though he tries so hard to stay in LOL it's really quite funny to watch. She is now twice the size of him coming in at a huge 4 to 4.5 inches. So it's not impposible but you really have to keep on top the two to make sure one does not kill the other. Good luck!! OPPPs I just reread your post sorry I guess this does not apply lol :eek1: I guess they will pair though shoot my tang seems to have joined the clown family TRAITOR!!

snafuforyou
11/13/2001, 07:55 PM
Dag,

Were you speaking of a pair of gold bands or a mix -[white banded mating with gold banded]. Unclear if you were speaking of a pair of gold banded maroons?

I was wanting to know if 1 gold banded maroon and 1 white banded maroon will pair up?
TIA

Snaf

snafuforyou
11/15/2001, 12:59 AM
anyone?

daghostryder
11/15/2001, 11:20 AM
sorry I was rfering to both gold bands. But anything is possible

bferris01
11/21/2001, 03:44 PM
HI all, I need some help! Well some info!

I have a carpet anemone have had it about 2 years and growing very well under Icecap 660. I had a dominio damsal that had takin to it, but becacause he became to agressive toward the other fish and began picking at some corals I had to remove him to a FO tank.

I aquired a "mated" pair of percula's. They have been together for 3-4 years scince being very young. One is larger and little darker than the other, I am assuming this to be the female and the smaller brighter colored one to be the male. ( Is this corect?)

I introduced them into my reef about 1.5-2 weeks ago, while the damsel was still in the tank. Scince I removed the damsel about 1 week ago the male has taken to the anemone very well, but the female or lager one dosen't seem to want anything to do with it. Why is that? I have noticed that sometimes when I feed the tank some brine the female will contact the anemone on accident and quickly jerks and swims the other way almost as if it hurts her to contact it. Is this what is Happening?

Is there any hope of her joining her mate in the anemone? It is quite a large carpet 12-16 inches diameter should be plenty of room I would think! Anything I could do to help?

The male comes over to the female every so often as to say hey girl get over here! ( ok maybe I watch my tank to much )

Any info or ideas would be great, thanks please email me at bferris01@hotmail.com

Brian

marieK
11/23/2001, 12:05 AM
Snafuforyou- yes I have a white female mating with a gold male. Babies have all been white striped so far.

Bferis- Interesting, usually the female chases the male out of the anemone delegating it to staying at the foot of the anenome. I'd give it some time. The one post implicated maybe a different type of percula is interesting and may well apply but I have a false percula and true percula in a tank with a LTA and carpet- they both go to visit both of the anemones. It does seem like the true percula likes the LTA better. I expect with time your female may come around. Good Luck.

michaelg
11/23/2001, 03:30 PM
Brian-

I have watched tank raised clowns on 2 occassions "adapt" to anenomes. Initially, they do get stung, though the affect is short. What I have seen is they take a little, recover, go back for more, etc. I believe it is part of a change that takes place in their slime coat, and aquired by exposure. One time, it seemed to take 2-3 days, the other, it was only a day. When the female is ready, she will go to it- though may kick the male out...

HTH
Michael

rastafarian
11/25/2001, 01:49 AM
snaf: i have 2 maroon clowns. i purposely bought one big and one small. they immediately began to do their submissive swim and the little one backed down instantaneously. The next morning they had found the bubble tip and haven't left since.

as of yet, no babies.

chipmunk
11/25/2001, 03:15 AM
snafuforyou, It's "mated" and "mating." -chipmunk

snafuforyou
11/25/2001, 11:55 AM
thx chip-you must be an english teacher-lol

chipmunk
11/25/2001, 08:19 PM
snafuforyou, You're welcome! :) Nope, I'm not an English teacher, but a long time ago I got paid to tutor English at the junior college level. FYI matting & matted has to do with framing pictures and not reefing. :D

snafuforyou
11/25/2001, 08:23 PM
Well at least the word existed in the dictionary and I just didn't make it up.-lol