PDA

View Full Version : Ideas To Improve Auctions

BLUESMAN
10/07/2004, 09:40 AM
Since people are getting involved in the Auction Location Thread, I thought that we could also discuss ways to improve the auction too. Does anyone have an opinion on a Sunday auction? Would that be easier for some people? What about starting times...earlier? Auction announcements, I believe should be as much advanced notice as possible to give everyone a chance to reschedule their personal affairs. How do we get more sellers and/or buyers? Is everyone pleased with the way the auctions are set-up currently? Is there items that you would like to see available at the auctions, either dry goods or livestock? C'mon this is your chance to speak up. I hope the PROP farmers do not mind me doing this.....if so I am sure I will know about it!
Blue

Jfishdr
10/07/2004, 10:40 AM
I'd rather not have it on Sunday.

dmorel
10/07/2004, 02:01 PM
Blue,
my big focus has been on trying to make them less formal.

Even with our smaller group last weekend we really were doing a lot of "auctioning" where everyone just sat there and bid on stuff and grabbed it. However, I was really really pleased at the ammount of trading that happened before the auction and I want to keep encouraging that with two threads for every auction, one for trades and one for auction corals. I hope others like that. And the social time BEFORE the auction is really nice too. I guess I need to accept that an auction IS an auction and let it go, but the thing I am really trying to foster is a more community fun atmosphere as opposed to a businesslike setting. Nothing constructive coming out of this post, save for a sense of where one PROP guy would like to see us go.
-dm

BLUESMAN
10/07/2004, 02:05 PM
I think it would be great if we could host an bar-b-q/picnic and auction event. Everyone bring a dish and we will have an get-together that would be fully non-formal. Maybe not even have an auction...just a picnic!...heck an all day event with the kids playing together and us reefers just talkin'!
Blue

lurch694u
10/07/2004, 03:13 PM
I like Bluesman idea of a picnic that sounds cool. I like how the prop auction is going (last saturday was my first prop auction) I would agree with Dmorel and try to make it a little less business like. Felt like the IRS was auctioning off someones tank before they got home:lol: . Another idea I thought would be cool would to be to lay out a list of everything that is going up on the auction block half hour before the auction starts.

Jeff

clkwrk
10/07/2004, 07:12 PM
I miss the frag and prop auctions being held back to back . It was a long afternoon but it was very casual.Frag was local trading and conversing and then prop held their auction after that . Usally by then we knew what was going to be auctioned too.

JMT

Although I also can see the reason for the seperation of meeting times. Most that attended didn't or could tell the difference.I was one :) But now with so many Prop threads talking about prop ,their goals and ect. I feel most know who is who and I think those of use can help the new comers understand who is who.

I also think attendance would climb back up a bit. Even if they don't stay the whole time . This will at least get more of us together in one place.