PDA

View Full Version : Bowfront Canopy

stratdude15
11/06/2001, 04:48 PM
Hi,
Does anybody have any info, pictures, diagrams and what not of your AGA 7 gallon Canopies. I would like to build a canopy, or purchase one from someone. Any info is greatly apprieciated
thanks in advance
stratdude15

Q-ball
11/06/2001, 08:03 PM
Hi Stratdude...you can see pics of my 7g and canopy here:
www.reefcentral.com/q-ball
This tank has since been torn down, but will be reincarnated once we move into our house & finish the tank room:) Anyhow, I simply made a wooden box to hold my lights, it was as big as the back half (the square part of the tank), and I used a dremel to cut the bowed part of the factory canopy for the front part. I painted them both with black fleckstone paint and it worked out pretty well if I may say so myself. Anyhow, HTH & good luck!

Q!!!

Playfair
11/07/2001, 11:27 AM
Q! Is that your work nano that you tore down??

I currently run the CSL 32 PC watt retro in the original strip light, but I'm gonna put that up for sale soon (fan and all) to replace it with a dual 32 DIY hood that's not quite finished yet. I built this out of 3/16" black platic that even has a texture on it. It will bearly fit both lights. The "bow" part of the original canopy will still be used.

This pic shows the idea, but it's not functional yet.

Q-ball
11/07/2001, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Playfair
Q! Is that your work nano that you tore down??

Yeah, it is...I'm planning on setting it up again once we finish the basement in the house we're moving into Thanksgiving weekend. I'm really looking forward to getting it back up & running.

Q!!!

mr9iron
11/08/2001, 12:38 AM
Playfair, What ya got in the tank? Will you post some more pics too????? I think im liking what I see and its giving me ideas.:rolleyes:

Playfair
11/08/2001, 09:45 AM
Mr9- Surely you've been to my Bonsai web site (http://mistressreef.homestead.com/files/pico/bonzai.html) ? :)

The only difference is the true perc died from shipping difficulties (took a chance with the "rescue" thingy), and I replaced it with a GB Maroon baby.

The Anem is supposed to just be temporary, but I really like it. If need be, I'll dedicate the entire tank to it, but plan to pull at the first signs of trouble.

mr9iron
11/08/2001, 10:18 PM
I guess I havent visited it in quite a while and man what a difference..:D :D Your nano looks great!!!!!!! I wanna do one with an anemone sometime in the near future and have you ever inspired me.

Playfair
11/13/2001, 04:00 PM
I figured I'd post this here as well as the classifieds...

If anyone is interested in an AGA minibow 7 strip light, already retrofitted with a CSL 32w PC and even a mini fan, here's the link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45892

Dolfan
11/13/2001, 06:21 PM
Playfair

I looked at you Nano reef it looks great. The one thing I'm interested in is the simple timer for the 30sec. on/25 sec off capability. What did you use for this? DIY or purchase? I'm thinking of starting a 10g nano and this would be great info.

Playfair
11/14/2001, 04:26 PM
Hey Dolfan... I used a self contained on/off time relay, which is available from Grainger or McMaster-carr for about $45. Not a great deal, but I had it laying around at work, and since the nano's at work...

Are you handy with electronics? I built my own simple wave timer design (based on John Rice), which I call a "Wave Runner". If you are interested, email me and I'll get you some more info. Total cost would start around $10, depending on how fancy you make it.

BTW, the dual 32 canopy is installed, and works great. I updated the bonsai site today, here's a link to a couple canopy pics. (http://mistressreef.homestead.com/files/pico/bonsaican.html)

mr9iron
11/15/2001, 09:36 AM
Nice work Playfair. Have you thought about building those canopys for other nano reefers? I really like the design and how you placed those fans in there. Good work, keep it up.:D

David Groos
11/15/2001, 09:58 AM
Just a simple question. Where do all the diyer's get the ABS plastic? I've seen lucite and plexi, but never ABS. After seeing the extra light the 2x32's put out I'm going to need to do that to my 7g :eek1:

biomekanic
11/15/2001, 11:10 AM
www.tapplastics.com
The_Iceberg gets stuff from them all the time.