PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Question: Whats the white stuff??

BigDog
11/06/2001, 04:09 PM
As you may know, I'm currently in the process of cycling my first reef tank.... I placed the rock in Friday and its cycling as we speak (just did my first test and so far so good) as I was observing my rock I noticed patches of white stuff on it.... now i know there's patches of alage on the rock (green stuff/brown stuff) but what in god's name is this white stuff??

reefmike
11/06/2001, 04:12 PM
What you are seeing is the die-off from your live rock. When I cycled my tank, I would use a turkey baster to suck as much of it out of the tank as possible. Be forewarned that it sticks!!!:eek:

-- Mike

Phillstone
11/06/2001, 09:12 PM
The white stuff is mostly dead coralline algae. This is normal when adding new rock (it will grow back.) Mike has a good idea w/the turkey baster but no need to remove it just blast the rocks to keep the debris from settling on the rocks.

Have fun with it. Phill

alf3482
11/07/2001, 11:44 AM
Your ok it's coraline die off. It will come back when the tank gets thru the cycle.

tomatoeclown
11/07/2001, 04:08 PM
I run my skimmer through the cycle and it cleans everything up, and YES you can run a skimmer while you cycle, have done it a few times,cya.