PDA

View Full Version : Live rock

snakedr
11/06/2001, 03:54 PM
I am new to the 'hobby' and am currently looking for a good source for some really nice live rock. We plan to set up a 120 tank with reef corals and a few fish. WE are in middle Tennessee and any help would be appreciated. thanks, Tom

Pomacanthus1
11/06/2001, 05:41 PM
Premium Aquatics and Gulf View seem to be the best and most popular the most popular online places for LR. www.premiumaquatics.com and www.gulf-view.com.
PA's live rock is $3.99 lbs and Gulf View's deco rock is $5.00 lbs. PA is located in Indianapolis, and Gulf View is located in the FL panhandle.

Hope this helps:)

Cnidae
11/06/2001, 06:38 PM
I would stay away from Florida aquacultured rock. I went for it starting out and now I'm stuck with 200 lbs and I hate it.

Rocky
11/06/2001, 07:09 PM
Well it seems like you bought from the wrong supplier of aqua rock. Not all fla aqua rock is the same. Do some research next time.

snakedr
11/06/2001, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all your replies. rocky: who do you recommend for fla rock? thanks!

Rocky
11/06/2001, 09:21 PM
One idea is to try a few samples from different supplers to see which you like the best instead of buying it all at one location . Since your going to need alot to fill that tank. It may cost a little more in shipping but at least you know what your getting.

Cnidae
11/06/2001, 10:01 PM
I would stear away from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I got rock from them to fill my tank when I was just learning. The rock is super dense and boulder shape and I got about 25 mantis shrimp with the rock and tons of crabs which I still am unable to remove them all. I've heard good things about southern caribean rock. I would suggest the same as above, order a couple peices from a couple different places, just don't tell them your grading them against someone else. Also ask where they got there rock to place in the ocean. I would buy rock from as southern in the carib as you can because of the temp difference. You don't want rock from a place were the temps are lower than what you plan on housing.

DgenR8
11/06/2001, 10:09 PM
I filled my 125 gal reef with Gulf View rock, no complaints here! :spin1:

alf3482
11/07/2001, 11:41 AM
If you going MO rock Go to www.themarinecenter.com my favorite online vender.HTH

Afishianado
11/07/2001, 01:31 PM
why not tell them you are grading them against other vendors? You are likely to get better rock this way.

icebox
11/07/2001, 01:34 PM
About three weeks ago, I ordered 90# of Fiji live rock from http://www.oceanencounter.com/. I ordered it Sunday night and it arrived on Wed. I was very happy with the speed and quality of the rock. there were a few smaller pieces, but most of them were fairly large. Some are almost too big for my 55 gal tank. To make sure the rock does not sit in LA for long, he only offers delivery on Wed and Friday. You have to go to your local airport to pick it up. I talked to Vince a couple times on the phone. Great Guy from PA. He sent me the flight info and arrival time for my rock, and then called me that afternoon to make sure I had gotten it, and that I was satisfied with it. I thought this went above and beyound the call of duty. Last time I was at his site, he had cured Fiji rock for $99 a 45 pound box. Or you can get UNcured Fiji rock for $115 for a 45 pound box. There is a $50 minimum shipping charge, (for up to 100 pounds) and then it is about $.50 a pound. It comes out costing about $2.5 a pound shipped from Fiji. I may have rambled a little too much about this, but I think you will be hapy with the customer service, and you rock if you go through Vince at OceanEncounter.

HTH

Mike