PDA

View Full Version : need help w/ berlin

pstolfo
11/06/2001, 03:39 PM
Hello,

Hoping someone can help. What I've got : used berlin HO-with the tube that goes over the tank removed by the fish store guy (he said this would make it a regular in sump model), powered by a rio 2100.
Problem: foam not rising high up enough to go into the collection cup.
Questions: 1) can you just remove the tube and get an in sump version?
2) is this the right pump or is there a better pump that I can get?
3)Anyone got any pictures of berlins working they'd like to share?
4)How the h**l do I get this thing to work?

Tank is 75 g with no fish , lots of mushrooms, softies and LPS.

Thanks
Psychopauly

Pomacanthus1
11/06/2001, 05:01 PM
A rio 2100 should be fine (i'm not endorsing the pump itself, just the GPH;) ) How long has it been operating on your tank? It may need to break in, and my berlin took about 3 weeks to do so. Check the venturi key/inlet of the skimmer for clogs.

I'd be happy to help with any other questions, since i know how you feel. I was about ready to pitch mine out the widow before i got some help here on RC.

pstolfo
11/06/2001, 08:24 PM
Pomacanthus 1,

Thanks for responding. The skimmer is used, I've had it on the tank a couple of weeks. How do you adjust it? With the pump output or the air intake? Also does the sump water level have anything to do with the adjustment? Do you know if the HO is the same skimmer as the in-sump model? Got any pics of one working?
Thanks for any help

Psychopauly

Pomacanthus1
11/06/2001, 09:45 PM
As far as i know, the HOT model is the same as the in-sump model, with an added tube for the pump. The best way to ajust it is to put a gate valve between the pump output and skimmer imput, open the air screw (the little white nob by the skimmer's output tubes) all the way, and fine tune the water level with the ball valve. The water level in the skimmer should be slightly below where the neck begins.

The water level does seem to affect the skimmer's performance, try to keep it as stable and constant as possible. I think the instruction book recomends that if the skimmer is submerged, it should be at 6".

Sorry, no pics:o :(

n2phish
11/06/2001, 09:57 PM
Pomacanthus 1,what makes the skimmer "break in"?

Do you mean it takes acouple weeks on an established tank or on a newly set up tank?

Pomacanthus1
11/06/2001, 10:12 PM
I'm not so sure, but i think it has something to do with a bio-film forming on the surfaces (those exposed to tank water) and that making it run more smoothly. It also may have to do with oils that are used in the manufacturing process that take time to wear away.

Theo
11/08/2001, 09:45 PM
I had a Berlin that took about 8 weeks before it produced for me.

Joe

pickront
11/08/2001, 10:39 PM
I'm also having problems with my Belrin SKimmer, I have the ho 25-250 gallon model for my 75g tank. I tried numerous things to no avail so I plan on taking it in to my LFS tomorrow and hopefully they can help me.

DreamMarine
11/08/2001, 11:16 PM
I have a HOT model and it has a rio2500 hooked to it. It took about a week or two to break it in but it is working ok now. I thought it would produce alot more than the other skimmer I had but does not. It does do better, what it does is it produces a constant dry foam but has never filled up the cup.I heard a mag 9 or higher does a great job with it to.;)

Pomacanthus1
11/09/2001, 01:12 PM
The best way to adjust the Berlin to produce a lot of foam is not to adjust the amount of air going into the skimmer (using the little white nob by the 2 output pipes) but to adjust the amount of water going into the skimmer by using a ball valve in between the skimmer's input and pump's output. Adjust the water level so that it is slightly below (no more than 1/3 an inch or so) the bottom of the neck tube.

There was somebody a while ago who was posting pics of their modified Berlin. Can't seem to find the thread though, to bad:( The pics were amazing, the foam head on that guy's skimmer almost filled up the entire collection cup :eek: It convinced me to mod mine:D

wastedincome
11/11/2001, 11:10 PM
I'm in the same boat with my Berlin HO (I'm notuseing the hang on in-let) with a RIO 2500HP. It seemed to take a week or two to start collecting alot. But the other day I went check the cup and it only had a lil' white froth:rolleyes: Also I looked at the iside and noticed that there was strong bubble in the very middle chamber but none in the middle one like ther had been when running good.
So I unhooked it and checked the venturi and air line.......no clog's
also cleaned the rio out, hooked back up......Now its worse:furious:
POMAC. did you use a ball valve on yours???Did it really work??
I have a ton of 3/4" ball valves I'll try if it'll help. How do you adjust it all?? start with air full open and water valve closed 1/4??
Please help I want to throw the fu*kin thing away and I have two of these damn thing One is for my 105g that i haven't set up yet.

bradwent
11/12/2001, 11:48 AM
Don.t ditch the skimmer(s). I posted this info on a thread that was going the same time as this thread so I didn't post to this one. I don't want to annoy anyone, but it was mentioned a couple of posts up inquiring about the mod. I have done this and it makes a big difference on the RSB Classic style skimmer, HO included. This other venturi does lengthen the water intake by about 4" and it does make the air intake noisier, so some sort of muffler/filter may need to be added to quite it. Here is the info I previously posted:

A couple of suggestions. I have been using a RSB Classic (non-turbo), same as yours except not a hang-on. I use a Rio 2500 and have been less than impressed with its performance. One day I came across a post that talked about changing the venturi with one made by Kent Marine. I went ahead and ordered and itstalled it and I cannot believe the difference. The chambers are now filled with lots of tiny bubbles and the skimmer is pulling way more skimmate than ever before. I used to get 1 filled skimmate cup (the one that sits on top of the skimmer) about every 2 weeks. I now have a drainage line connected to the skimmate cup because of the excess skimmate. If that line were taken out, I would fill the skimmate cup ever 2-3 days with dark skimmate. The RSB Classic is installed on a 72 gal. setup with LR, a just added DSB, mostly soft corals and fish/inverts.

The venturi can be purchased online, follow this link:

Aquatic Eco-systems (http://www.aquaticeco.com)

search for venturi and look for V34 Turbo-Venturi Injector 3/4"

All that needs to be done is to remove the current RSB venturi and then plug the hole that the RSB venturi uses for air intake. What I did was swap the plug on the skimmate cup for the air nipple by the venturi. Then you just need a couple of pieces of tubing, one for the new Kent venturi and one for the air nipple now being used in the skimmate cup for drainage. Just be careful and pay attention to your pump flow rates so as not to start producing to wet of skimmate. Keep in mind that the Kent venturi will extend the skimmer water intake port by about 4", the length of the new venturi. Any questions, email me.

Pomacanthus1
11/12/2001, 05:51 PM
Set the air valve so that it is open all the way, same thing with the ball valve. SLOWLY, in EXTREMELY small increments, one at a time, reduce the water flow, until a nice thick, dry foam is produced.