PDA

View Full Version : BL Hermits: Light Sensitivity?

BNesti
11/06/2001, 03:20 PM
I have a fairly new tank (running about 2 months)... 165 Gallon with 640W of VHO. I have about 6 little blue-legged hermts...

I have noticed that when my lights are on, my blue-legged hermits are generally half buried in the substrate, or under an overhang (in the shade).... and when the lights are off, they are very active.

Anyone else ever notice this?

Could they be sensitive to the bright lights? or maybe sleeping during the day??

Thanks.

Bryan

Skipper
11/06/2001, 04:59 PM
Could they be sensitive to the bright lights?
I doubt it. My own tank is powered with considerably more lighting, and I have never noticed that. I have found that they become very active when they smell food in the water, regardless of the ambient lighting.

clownman
11/06/2001, 05:17 PM
Could it be that you have certain dweller that preyes on hermit? So, they are sorta hiding from it?

What is the temp like?

BNesti
11/06/2001, 05:37 PM
Current Occupants:

2 ea. blue/green chromis
1 ea. algae blennie
1 ea. cleaner shrimp
2 ea. peppermint shrimp
snails

By the way, when the bl hermits were put in the tank, only had 3 ea. blue/green chromis other than the hermits, and they (bl hermits) exhibited this behavior from day one.

Temp ranges from 78F-81F.

Bryan

The_Iceberg
11/06/2001, 05:59 PM
This is pretty strange, but I have the same problem. I have 3 blue legs in with three Blue/Green Chromis too. And my crabs hide except when the lights go off too. I don't know why though. And get this, the strangest coinicidence between you and me - my name is Bryan too (spelled with a "Y") pretty weird.

BNesti
11/06/2001, 06:11 PM
Bryan,

One of my 3 blue/green chromis decided to go carpet surfing (out the rear gap in my canopy) a couple days ago... so now I am down to 2 blue/green chromis.

Bryan

The_Iceberg
11/06/2001, 07:16 PM
Bryan,

Oh well, they are cheap enough anyway. I cycled my first FOWLR tank with blue damsels and ended up taking them back to the store (and killing one) because they are such asses. This is before I was doing any research on the net. Now I know better and am using Blue Green Chromis which are really cool. They are very cute and I love how they school. I am thinking of getting two more once the cycle is over (or however many I need to buy to make 5 if any of my current ones die.)

Bryan